What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

correct Length for Flap Pushrods

Doug Rohrer

Well Known Member
I am building a -9A but I believe the answer applies to -7"s also. Drawing 33 shows the bare flap pushrod length should be 4 7/8" long, with an approximate distance between bearing centers at 6 5/8". The bare pushrods supplied in my kit were already cut, drilled and tapped at the 6 5/8" length. I have learned to stop and investigate issues like this when a part is already made up by Van's. I have not started cutting the holes in the bottom of the skin so I can't test fit just yet. I am hoping someone can confirm the correct length before I start cutting the rods and clearance holes. Thanks.

I am building a -9A but I believe the answer applies to -7"s also. Drawing 33 shows the bare flap pushrod length should be 4 7/8" long, with an approximate distance between bearing centers at 6 5/8". The bare pushrods supplied in my kit were already cut, drilled and tapped at the 6 5/8" length. I have learned to stop and investigate issues like this when a part is already made up by Van's. I have not started cutting the holes in the bottom of the skin so I can't test fit just yet. I am hoping someone can confirm the correct length before I start cutting the rods and clearance holes. Thanks.

[You can't really cut/enlarge the holes in the fuse until you have the wings on with flaps attached and all, anyway, at which point you'll be adjusting the length of the rod to get the proper position of the flaps in the up position, and moving them up and down to make the hole large enough in the right areas for the rod to clear during extension...an iterative process.]

ETA: I see what you're saying...that the RAW MATERIAL you got from Van's was already 6-5/8". Well, as said...cut away! It's only a little pushrod, easy to make another or buy a replacement if you get it wrong...

Last edited:
You are correct that the length is the same for the -7 and -9 and that the center -to-center of connecting rods should be approximately 6 5/8" with some minor adjusting for your installation. My drawing (33) says your material is hex (VA-256) while the -7 is round (F-759A).

Sounds like you will need to do some trimming.

Flap Rod Length

Thanks for the quick response. I have the wings temporarily mounted and this is the next item on the list. I am off to the lathe to cut down and rethread the rods.

Back