Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2017, 11:44 PM

Default Use of Flaps on Landing

Funny that I had this thought, and it seems perfect that this is the other side of Bob's earlier post on Flaps on Take off...

I was doing a few T&G's on Friday morning before heading up to Reno. It occurred to me I hadn't done any in a while, but I was itching to fly, even if it was just a few times around the patch.
When I did my training last year with Mike Seager, he trained me on the following...
Flaps @ zero for take off, up to reflex after about 200-300 feet.
On landing: Flaps from Reflex to Zero as you approach the pattern (or as you entire an approach), then flaps to 1/2, then flaps to full on short final.
So, I generally always land with full flaps. 70kts on approach and over the fence, about 65kts over the numbers.

However, doing touch and goes, it takes a while for the flaps to come back up. So, it got me thinking.... what about int heaven of a go around?
What are other doing? Sounds like a lot of people landing with no flaps? Mostly I'm landing on pretty long runways, so that's certainly not an issue.

Thoughts? and Speeds for what you do use?
BPE IO-540, FULL EFII
KMYF, San Diego, Ca.
KEOS, Neosho, MO

Crew Lead on the
Grove Aero Super Legacy Reno Racer,
twin turbo, IO-540,
full EFII management system
!

"so I got that going for me... which is nice."
2017 Dues Paid"