What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stupid Questions Thread

Adam Oke

Well Known Member
Heh. Well they stopped spoon feeding in the instructions ..... well, stopped putting as much on the spoon. :rolleyes:

How do you select the appropriate drill bit size?

Do you look at the rivet designator and select the drill bit size from the AD number? For my plans example, AN470AD4-5. Thus the rivet is 1/8" in diameter and I would use a #30 drill bit? The reason I chose #30 is because it matches 1/8" on my drill bit gauge.

AD3 #40
AD4 #30
etc.

Either they spoon fed too much in the practice kits, or I've forgotten how I chose the appropriate drill bit size in the past...For some reason I recall a cheater chart for drill bits.

(Anyone else with stupid question feel free to ask in this thread!)

Last edited:
Courtesy of Brad Oliver:

3093lnl.jpg

http://www.rv7factory.com/resources.html

Next Question....

When fluting ribs, is it necessary to flute between every hole? Do you just stop fluting when it becomes flat?

I have two sets of fluting pliers. One with a large diameter flute, and one with a small diameter....where are each applicable?

Last edited:
The rule of 7"s

Here is a quick easy way to remember drill bit sizes.

The rivet sizes are -3, -4, -5, and -6

The drill bit sizes are 40, 30, 21, and 11

Take the rivet dash number and figure what first number of the drill bit added to it equals 7

For the -3 3+4=7, For the -4 4+3+7, For the -5 5+2+7 and for the-6 6+1+7

Hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Heh. Well they stopped spoon feeding in the instructions ..... well, stopped putting as much on the spoon. :rolleyes:

Get used to it, it gets worse. The further you go, the more you are expected to remember past lessons they have explained.

Deep in the emp kit, as you've discovered, they stop spoon feeding you.

Somewhere in the middle of the wing kit, it changes to them giving you a recipe and you've got to cook the meal and feed yourself.

By the time you get to the fuselage, the recipe is gone and it's down to "Cook dinner."

I'm guessing that before it's all over, it's going to degrade to "Don't forget to eat something."

Last edited:
Another silly question.

Do you dimple when a bolt will be installed?

I'm dimpling the horizontal stabilizer and looking at HS-603PP, I am wondering if I should leave the dimple out where you attach the hinge bracket HS-401BPP with bolts.

Or do I hit it with a #21 5/32 dimple die?

I also just noticed I was supposed to trim the horizontal stabalizor rear spar to allow for elevator control horn movement. :eek: . Whoops! I'll get right to that!

No dimple for bolts

No you would not dimple for a bolt. Generally you will only dimple where the rivet will be on a skin. Or where another piece will fit flush to it.

Another silly question.

I'm dimpling the horizontal stabilizer and looking at HS-603PP, I am wondering if I should leave the dimple out where you attach the hinge bracket HS-401BPP with bolts.

The only thing you should be dimpling on the HS-603PP spar are the holes that mate with the skin. All other holes take Universal AN470 rivets. I hope you have not dimpled the holes on the HS-603PP where the spar doubler(s) go.

Could you clarify?

You also should wait to trim the spar(s) for the elevator movement until you have the elevators done and mounted to know exactly where the elevator horns are.

Keep on building...I have not seen mine for a few weeks during this darn season.

The only thing you should be dimpling on the HS-603PP spar are the holes that mate with the skin. All other holes take Universal AN470 rivets. I hope you have not dimpled the holes on the HS-603PP where the spar doubler(s) go.

Could you clarify?

You also should wait to trim the spar(s) for the elevator movement until you have the elevators done and mounted to know exactly where the elevator horns are.

Keep on building...I have not seen mine for a few weeks during this darn season.

Do you think I could trim the spar now? Ideally I would like to get it out of the way because I am priming the spar. (From the sounds of it i might have to scrap it anyways...)

Eesh. Thanks for the heads up. This might require an e-mail to Van's. I have dimpled all the holes on the spar that mate to the skin. BUT, I have also dimpled where HS-708 is blind riveted ... meaning I also dimpled HS-708 flange. I also dimpled the HS-405 flange, planning on dimpling its mate point on the spar as well. The mate point for HS-405 has yet to be dimpled, just the rib flange is dimpled.

What do you think? Is this my first big Oops? :mad:

Last edited:
Back