What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Putting wide deck cylinders on a narrow deck

Bob Hoffman

Well Known Member
Can this be done ? I have a O320 with narrow deck cyl can they be replaced with wide deck cyl ?? Or are there other problems like different studs or something else that won't let this work ??
Bob

Will work but????

From my understanding it can be done, but longer stud's will have to be installed. Not sure what kind of price tag that would have.

Can this be done ? I have a O320 with narrow deck cyl can they be replaced with wide deck cyl ?? Or are there other problems like different studs or something else that won't let this work ??
Bob

The cylinder FLANGE is entirely different. Different stud pattern and different thickness.

Narrow Deck vs Wide Deck article at this link.

New Narrow Deck cylinders can be purchased from ECI. I purchased a set last year for my O-320 Narrow Deck engine. At the present time, www.Aeroinstock.com (one of the advertisers here) has ECI steel cylinders for the Narrow Deck engines for $865 complete with valves, springs, piston, and rings.

The 160 HP Narrow Deck engine in my RV-6 was manufactured in 1961 and has over 5,460 hours on it since new. I am using one quart of oil in 45-hours with the ECI Steel cylinders I installed last year.

Hmmm how did they do that?

I have a A2B on my -4 that did not come, per the parts manual, with hold down plates. Because of that, I was leary to put higher compression piston in it. I was told that I could go with longer studs and add the hold down plates.

It is interesting to note that there are A2B narrow decks and A2B wide decks. I have done two annuals this past year on A2B wide decks. One was on a Super Cub and one was on a Citabria. The Cub engine was a factory reman from Lycoming. Both 150 HP.

I have not researched to find out if Lycoming made a A2B wide deck in later years or if they had been converted.

Any thoughts???

The A2B started as a narrow deck and then was made as a wide deck later on when Lycoming stopped making narrow decks. Any production engine, that started narrow deck and still had a new certified aircraft application when they stopped producing narrow decks, started to be produced as a wide deck to support those new aircraft applications. Thus it is possible to have an engine model that was produced as both a narrow deck and a wide deck.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Mid deck cylinders on narrow deck engines

For experimental use!!! Is this a possibility, thx. Io 540lyc.

Narrow Deck and Wide Deck

As posted above the ND and WD cylinders are apples and oranges. I came across a strange one recently though. A friend asked me to Overhaul his ND 360 and to my amazement it had a WD crankcase casting. This engine was a factory reman and apparently after Lycoming stopped making ND engines but needed one they machined a wide deck case casting to narrow deck stud pattern. I verified this with the factory. Obviously the factory can do anything so in this case they put narrow deck cylinders on a wide deck case..... sort of.

Back