What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pecan Plantation Fly-in success

scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
First up, here are the pictures I took: http://picasaweb.google.com/jscottcard/0TX1
Wow, what a great event. We had a ball. The site is amazing. We only live an hour away, but never quite understood the quality of this gem. Tanya and I launched IFR from Georgetown climbing through the broken layer at about 1200'. We were on top by 7000', happy campers for the ride. Our plan was to shoot a GPS approach into Clebourne (CPT, about 10mi. SE) to get down. That worked great. Within about 30mi, it was solid overcast at no more than 2000'. We broke out at about 1000', canceled IFR, and broke off the approach to make the run over to 0TX1. I don't know what everybody else was talking about with 1800' high ceilings... The reality was that when we arrived, there were places only 2mi. from the field that were only 900' at best. Weather definitions sometimes vary with just how macho the pilot you are talking to is :).
As far as I could tell, it was a full fly-in although the locals that we talked to (Tom & Bonnie, Don, the Sutters) said it was quite light because of weather. Most of the VAF "celebrities" were there of course. Familiar faces are always a welcome site. I think Tanya and I got suckered into more than one "big adventure" in the months and years to come courtesy of Rosie. We're looking forward to many more great adventures. Food, yapping, a tour of Don's house (thanks), and simply drooling over the whole location and concept of this airpark.
While everyone was talking, I stood there and filed an IFR flight plan for the trip home on the Iphone and Weathermeister. The only way to roll. There were few planes left as we launched and stopped our climb at 2500'msl. We picked up our clearance with Fort Worth Center, climbed on up to 8000' which put us on top for another easy ride 1hr home. We shot the GPS 18 back into GTU with bases at 4000' and very thick haze (about 5mi).
An easy trip for us with new found utility of the IFR ticket. Tanya and I sat around amused at the fun of the IFR trip for the last 1.5hr at home.

Last edited:
Pecan Plantation Fly-in

Scott,
I agree. It was very nice.
It would be a dream come true to live there!

We arrived about 12:20 in a two ship from Louisiana. (RV-7A and RV-8A)
We were attending a chapter meeting or we would have launched earlier.

We enjoyed the meal and fellowship. We had to leave before we really wanted to as storms were headed to our home airport. (F87 Farmerville)
On the way back we stopped in Carthage, TX for a fill up on $2.67 100LL.
The storms were just 20 miles north of Farmerville when we arrived.

Your posts make me want to get my instrument rating!

Sorry I missed you guys,

Mark

Last edited:
Now I recongize those Orange/White birds Mark - sorry we mised you! I pointed them out to Louise as we were walking, but couldn't remember where they were from. We spent about an hour in a hangar putting "Mikey's" new wheel pants back on after lunch - must have been when you arrived.

Paul

Glad it went off! I was helping annual gliders at TSA (gotta pay if you wanna play) and ceilings there were very poor until well afternoon. Driving down about 10a, many of the Cedar Hills towers had their tops in the scud.

TODR

Now I recongize those Orange/White birds Mark - sorry we mised you! I pointed them out to Louise as we were walking, but couldn't remember where they were from. We spent about an hour in a hangar putting "Mikey's" new wheel pants back on after lunch - must have been when you arrived.

Paul

Hey Paul,
I didn't think you guys had made it until I saw you in a couple of Scott Card's photos. I looked for the "VAL", but I don't really have a mental picture of what "Mikey" looks like, as we have never met:rolleyes:

Mark

Last edited:
Pecan Flyin

We had a great time hosting the RVers as well as the normal rest of the crowd at the EAA 983 flyin yesterday. Rosie and Victoria spent the night with the Sutters and Gary & Carolyn Zilik spent the night with us. Their plan was butts in airplane at 8am, BUT it was 300 and 1 mile most of the morning. So we spent the morning together. Bonnie had bought some deck chairs that needed assembly, so the crew pitched in and put the chairs together to pass the time. After the ladies put together a quick lunch, and the weather improved greatly they launched about 1:30 with one stop together in west Texas before splitting and Zilik's turning north for Colorado and Rosie continuing west for Ca. His SPOT shows them stopped at Payson at this point.

Thanks to all the RVs that attended, I hope y"all come back.

From Rosie: We stopped in Payson for dinner then departed ~2200 CDT, arriving into Rosamond (SoCAL) ~0030 CDT :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great fly-in

What a great time we had at the plantation making new friends. The Ziliks are home and the Rosales's are still heading west. Rosie figured it would be 10:30 PDT when they got home.

Rosie figured correctly ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
We've been watching the progress of the tracker. Glad to see Gary and Carolyn home safe, with Paul and Victoria continuing their "great adventure". Tanya and I will be carrying the torch with at trip to Colorado with the Ziliks in a couple of weeks. The adventure almost continues to move forward indefinitely, and here we can see how (thanks Doug).

I'll stay up and keep watch on their track for the Texas crowd - I'm time shifting and need to stay awake until 0200 or so.....Spot on the computer and maybe Spinal Tap on the TV to stay awake? ;)

Meet Mr Garret plus my pictures of Pecan

I believe he said his name was Garret. Here is what I learned from Garret. This is grandpa?s Super Cub. It flies 160 mph at 100 feet. Grandpa once flew it to "New Hamster." It took three days to get there. If it would have taken four, he would have run out of gas. When he gets big he is going to learn to fly the Super Cub. And oh yes grandpa just bought a new MU-2. Garret sure was proud of grandpa and I betcha grandpa sure is proud of Garret.

dscn0758s.jpg

Link to my pics:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/571984223yEsCha?vhost=good-times

THANKS TO ALL!

On behalf of myself, EAA 983 and the Pecan Plantation Airpark residents we'd like to thank everyone who braved the weather to come to our Spring Fly-In. All though we didn't have the "quantity" we hoped for, we definately had the "quality". I know we had a great time and enjoyed all the great airplanes that flew in, especially all the exceptional RV's.

After speaking with the Chapter 983 President and Doug Reeves, we would like to offer to host the "Texas RV Fly-In", every Spring at our Fly-In. We would consider it both an honor and a pleasure to host such a Great group and organization.

Thanks again!
DOUG CRUMRINE
EAA 983 FLY-IN CHAIRMAN

Last edited:
Pecan Plantation 2010

I see the 2010 flyin is right around the corner. Anyone have info on flyin such as camping permitted?, fuel? It's a long way from Georgia so just trying to get a handle on things before I commit:)

Back