What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-320-A2B

pilot28906

Well Known Member
Being new at this I need to know some info about this engine. Will this engine work in a -7? Any down sides? Below is an advertisment for this engine; can anyone give me an idea of what it is worth and give any input as to the information? Thanks in advance.

-Case repaired by Divco.
-New ECI pistons and cylinders.
-Crankshaft mains ground M003.
-Rods std. S.B.503 & S.B.505.
-Camshaft reconditioned.
-Lifters re-ground.
-Tach shaft repaired.
-Hydraulic units overhauled.
-Crank gear repaired per S.B.475.
-Rocker arms refurbished.
-Rods re-bushed.
-All internal steel magnafluxed (see 8130-3 & yellow tags).
-Overhauled 7/03, pickeled and warehoused.
-includes two magnetos.

Great engine

I have this engine on my RV-4 and have been happy with it; however, a few things you should know. The O-320 A2B is what they call a ?narrow deck?, conical mount engine. It could be found on the PA-18 and PA 22-150 among others. It was manufactured as a 150 hp engine and did not have the cylinder hold down plates like the later 160 hp engines had. So with that said, if at a later time you think about putting the higher compression pistons in it to take it up to 160 hp, in my opinion, it would require more than just switching out the pistons. One should add the longer case studs? and add the cylinder hold down plates. This can be done, but cost $$$$$$.

If you figure a core engine at say 5k, add 4k for the new ECI cylinders, 2k for metal parts inspection, 1,200 for mags, plus 2k for what I am forgetting, you will be up around 14 to 15k for value.

One thing to look at. You said it has been pickled for three years. I bettcha those new ECI cylinders will be effected by the new 50 hr. inspection airworthiness directive (AD).

This is a great engine as long as you understand it for what it is. A 150 hp work horse.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Well,

I can tell you that an RV-7 flies really really well with an O-320. The way most fly on cross country, you will never notice the distance. Frankly, given thetakeoff and climb profile that most fly, you will never notice the difference.

Yes, there is a difference in max cruise, and in max climb profiles. But you alomst never fly those. An O-320 with a C/S prop makes a really nice flying bird.

In my case the relative glut of O-320 run-outs on the market made a big dollar difference...like thousand of gallons of 100LL in savings...but I bought it right and rebuilt most of it myself.

You choice, but if you hear the there is a "minimum horsepower" requirement for the RV-7...it is simply unfounded.

Engine AD

Thanks for the info and opinions. Can someone explain the ECI AD and how would I know if this engine needs the inspections?

It is not an O-360. My opinion...180 HP minimum in a RV-7(A)
We have an RV-8, 180HP C/S.

Profile... everything from gentle cruising, to formation (display) aerobatics etc. to long distance cruise. I reckon the 180HP is used from start of takeoff roll until about 500' (but not needed), for showing off ;), and in the Formation Aeros "whenever I get left behind" (but even then at 2600RPM so probably restricting it to 160HP?).

I have also instructed in the 6(A)/7(A)/9(A), particularly in combined formations (between types / HP / FP v C/S).

IMHO (and only that!) the 180HP is more than enough for a 7/8, and with 160HP it would be rare you would say "I wish I had spent $X000 and Y00lbs and ??? on fuel" for another 20HP - especially if your priority is a nice fun aircraft, and not something that will just do 2-3K faster than the one next door :eek:

I am sure plenty will disagree with me :D

Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ

AD 2008-19-5

Thanks for the info and opinions. Can someone explain the ECI AD and how would I know if this engine needs the inspections?

This AD effects certain P.N.'ed cylinders and requires a repetitive inspection (compression test) for Group A cylinders every 50 hrs after 350 TIS, replace by 2000hrs TT. Group B cylinders have the same inspection exept it starts right away and they must be replaced by 350 hrs TT. I would NOT purchase an engine untill the status of ALL A.D.'s are recorded in the engine log. This document is normaly copied and mailed for the buyers insection prior to purchase agreement.

Andrew

A2B

If it's more than 5 grand, you'd be better off getting yourself an O-360...

I agree. It's been sitting too long and the cyl's are questionable. I am also skeptical of re-ground camshafts and cam followers (lifters) that have been refaced.

If the grinding and refacing has gone through the hardened surfaces of either, it won't be long until the engine starts making metal.

Although I'm of the old school which thinks that "there's no replacement for displacement", a 150hp RV-7 is not an underpowered airplane by any means.

I do think that for climbing out of Murphy to get over the mountains, you will like the 180hp much, much better though.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the info. I really do prefer the 180 HP and there is a lot about this engine that says keep looking.

Hey, it's nice to know someone knows where Murphy is!

Great Web site!:D

F.Y.I. According to Lycoming documentation.
0-320-A1A 150 HP @ 2700 rpm c/r 7.00:1.
0-320-B1A 160 HP @ 2700 rpm c/r 8.50:1 Lycomings description "same as A1A but higher compression".

But I do have a question -- can wide deck cylinders be installed on a narrow deck case ?? If so what would need to be done other than replacing the studs ?

I don't think that wide deck can be installed on narrow deck cases. You need longer studs for the hold down plates that go with the higher compression 160hp narrow deck engines.

A2B is 150HP
B2B is 160HP

Just like A1A and B1A

Remember, this is conical mount!!! that means it'll be a new engine mount if you want to go O-360 later (unless you find one of the VERY rare conical O-360's.)

Back