What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intercom Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

RV4er

Well Known Member
Good morning all,

I have a RV-4 with a 403 MC intercom installed. I have a problem and am just about at wits end with it.

On the ground with engine off it works great. Once the engine is started things change. Once airborne I adjust the squelch until the noise stops. Once I speak I get instant loud squelch. The squelch or noise is so loud that I have to switch it back to isolate. At times I have been able to get the squelch to stop but the rear seat person can not hear me and I can't hear them.

I have slick mags which are supposed to have built in noise suppressors. I do not have a noise suppressor on the alternator and wonder if it could be the problem; however, it is not a whine it is a loud squelch noise.

I have a David Clark H10-20 that has been converted to active noise reduction and a Light speed 30 3g headset. I have also tried other headsets to no avail.

Any thoughts?

I'm pretty sure the frightcoms have a single squelch circuit. Tell me you don't have the unused headset plugged in. If not, I think you have a squelch problem. Also, the jacks they use are cheesy. Make sure your assorted male plugs are properly contacting the jack fingers where they should.

Low cost intercoms like the 403MC, with a single squelch channel are very sensitive to missmatch between microphones.
Before you do anything else, borrow two identical headsets, take a passenger for a ride and try out the sytem using those. Also, in an RV-4 or 8 some head sets work better than others because of the close proximity of the canopy reflecting ambient noise into teh microphone (particularly in the back seat).

Low cost intercoms like the 403MC, with a single squelch channel are very sensitive to missmatch between microphones.
Before you do anything else, borrow two identical headsets, take a passenger for a ride and try out the sytem using those. Also, in an RV-4 or 8 some head sets work better than others because of the close proximity of the canopy reflecting ambient noise into teh microphone (particularly in the back seat).

I will ditto Scott's suggestion. I have a DRE 244e intercom and it does not have independent mic squelch -- in other words both microphones must have approximately the same impedance for the squelch to work effectively. Even with two different lightspeed models it can be frustrating to get the squelch set.

Easy test: How does the intercom work with just the pilot headset plugged in?

What intercom for differing headsets?

Then what intercom would be better suited for install that is less of a problem? I have a similar problem with my Sport200. I have spare headsets that are not the same and if my 30-3g poots out I just want to switch out and on I go without issue.

The PM-1000 intercom...

Then what intercom would be better suited for install that is less of a problem? I have a similar problem with my Sport200. I have spare headsets that are not the same and if my 30-3g poots out I just want to switch out and on I go without issue.

...is a lower cost one with two seperate squelch controls -

pm1000_big.jpg

I'm pretty sure the frightcoms have a single squelch circuit. Tell me you don't have the unused headset plugged in. If not, I think you have a squelch problem. Also, the jacks they use are cheesy. Make sure your assorted male plugs are properly contacting the jack fingers where they should.

Dave,
Can you make any recommendations for better quality jack receptacles for the 403?
Charlie Kuss

Switchcraft

Plain old Switchcraft jacks have heavier fingers. It is rumored they can support a free swinging Marshall guitar cabinet.

That helps....

So it's just a matter of having separate squelches for each mic?

...the different headset problem since it's the mic. end that causes squelch issues.

Having said that, I don't know what my PM-1000 does for squelch on the rear seat passengers mics in my Tiger....:)

Carlos. another data point for you, before you spend any money.

I have an intercom called a PS Eng PM3000A in my RV4. It is the most frustrating bit of equipment in my aircraft. The engine, prop, EFIS, radio, transponder, wing leveller, seats etc have all met / exceeded the quality I expected for both product and support. Not something I can say about my intercom. It is a huge disapointment.

With 9 months since first flight it is still not working properly. The good news is most of the time I fly alone and can plug the jacks directly to the radio. With a passenger I have to suffer gentle/moderate white noise.

It is a pity because I went to great length to get a better intercom system than I had ever had before.

I have an intercom called a PS Eng PM3000A in my RV4. It is the most frustrating bit of equipment in my aircraft. The engine, prop, EFIS, radio, transponder, wing leveller, seats etc have all met / exceeded the quality I expected for both product and support. Not something I can say about my intercom. It is a huge disapointment.

With 9 months since first flight it is still not working properly. The good news is most of the time I fly alone and can plug the jacks directly to the radio. With a passenger I have to suffer gentle/moderate white noise.

It is a pity because I went to great length to get a better intercom system than I had ever had before.

I don't know about the PS Eng PM3000A intercom, but I have to put in a good word about my PS Eng 8000B audio panel. My RV is very noisy due to no insulation whatsover, until I recently put in some floor padding. But the audio panel has been flawless in wiping out external sounds. It has automatic squelch, and is far better than my previous intercom (not PS Eng).

Items that help noise. Mic muffs from Oregon Aero (advertised here). These are excellent for helping to eliminate external annoying noises.

Un-plug an unused headset, or at least turn the noise suppression on. It all depends where that unused headset is sitting.

Between the PS Eng 8000B audio panel, Oregon Aero mic muffs, and ANR headsets; I've now achieved perfection. My old intercom and squelch issues were far from perfect.............and often annoying as well.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

E-GADS!!!

Hi Steve:

Those are probably the most disappointing words I have ever read!:(

I can't tell you how enthusiastic I am in turning this troubling situation around.

Can you please call me at your earliest convenience? My phone number is 865-988-9800 X31

Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering

Thanks

I have this intercom in my 8 and it performs perfectly. I normally use the Bose X headsets but even when I mix and use my Halo Quite headset and my wife has the Bose in the back I can control the squelch quiet easily. I also have my 496's XM music piped in and all works as advertised.

I can't tell you how enthusiastic I am in turning this troubling situation around.

Mark, happy to give it another try if you are. Wife's birthday today and daughter arriving for the weekend so I will give you a call next week. I will also refresh my memory on the wiring dia., the diagnostics we did last time and the symptoms,,,what happened when etc.. and summarize in an email before I call so you have a chance to digest.

regards, Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Steve, I made a mistake.

When I first read your post my immediate instinct was to help, I paid no attention to your name.

When I got your reply I remembered who you are.

I'm sorry to say that because I have already done everything possible, I am unable to help you.

Here is a recap what happened last time.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=32968&highlight=white+noise

With all do respect, I think you might consider putting in a different intercom. I don't think the PM3000 will ever meet your expectations.

I'm sorry.

Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering

Mark, happy to give it another try if you are. Wife's birthday today and daughter arriving for the weekend so I will give you a call next week. I will also refresh my memory on the wiring dia., the diagnostics we did last time and the symptoms,,,what happened when etc.. and summarize in an email before I call so you have a chance to digest.

regards, Steve.

Last edited:
Dissapointing PM3000 product and support.

Hi Steve, I made a mistake.

I'm sorry to say that because I have already done everything possible, I am unable to help you.

Here is a recap what happened last time.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=32968&highlight=white+noise

With all do respect, I think you might consider putting in a different intercom. I don't think the PM3000 will ever meet your expectations.

I'm sorry.

Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering

With apologies to Tim for stamping on your thread, but it looks as though you have finished for now.

As I said, 'a data point regarding the PM3000'. Even the supplier now says " it will never meet your expectations." I wish he had said that before I bought it! I thought from the post below he had wanted to try to get it working properly, but no such luck. I am surprised he wants to resurect the old thread.

In case you follow his link, I gave up communicating last time in total frustration with PSEngineering when he seemed to have put it about that I was using 'non standard' headsets. They were quality, but very standard, GA headsets made by Communica. Yes they do work for the military but they do GA work also. (Stein was mistaken. He made the same point with no knowledge until it became fact.) In case you have any doubt I ALSO use the headset with a PA1779 headset and recently a Beyerdynamic DANR600 headset. Also, a friend with Dave Clark. Please be in no doubt, the same problem - white noise - exist with the PM3000 intercom system irrespective of the headset.

It is a strange kind of support to try to make the customer responsible for the problem and beat him into into submission, but there we go.

As I said all the other products and systems assembled into an RV4 have been excellent. I should have mentioned the P-mags, excellent product and support also. The good news is it is only the PM3000 intercom which has significantly dissapointed.

As I said, 'a data point regarding the PM3000'. Even the supplier now says " it will never meet your expectations." I wish he had said that before I bought it! I thought from the post below he had wanted to try to get it working properly, but no such luck. I am surprised he wants to resurrect the old thread.

IMHO, the old thread was brought up in order to avoid re-hashing the same thing all over again.

In case you follow his link, I gave up communicating last time in total frustration with PSEngineering when he seemed to have put it about that I was using 'non standard' headsets. They were quality, but very standard, GA headsets made by Communica. Yes they do work for the military but they do GA work also. (Stein was mistaken. He made the same point with no knowledge until it became fact.) In case you have any doubt I ALSO use the headset with a PA1779 headset and recently a Beyerdynamic DANR600 headset. Also, a friend with Dave Clark. Please be in no doubt, the same problem - white noise - exist with the PM3000 intercom system irrespective of the headset.

It is a strange kind of support to try to make the customer responsible for the problem and beat him into into submission, but there we go.

As I said all the other products and systems assembled into an RV4 have been excellent. I should have mentioned the P-mags, excellent product and support also. The good news is it is only the PM3000 intercom which has significantly dissapointed.

I locked up the former thread when things got over the line, guess it is time to do it again.

If you have a problem with a vendor, please contact them directly, and do not try to argue it out in this public forum.

PS Engineering, and Stein are highly regarded in the avionics world, and their customer care is fantastic. I have dealt with both of them in the past, and would do so again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back