What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Backwards Engine mount bolts?

RV4er

Well Known Member
I?m ready to hang the engine on my conical mount RV-4. However, there is not enough clearance between the firewall and the two lower engine mounts to install the bolts from back to front. To do this I would have to take the engine mount off, install the bolts, and then re install the mount.

I read back through the manual and looked at the prints and saw nothing about this. Anybody else run up against this? I?m thinking about just installing the lower bolts backwards.

Tim,
There is no requirement for the nuts to be on the firewall side. The main reason for doing it this way is so the nuts/cotter-pins can be inspected easily.

Tim,

I ran into a problem with the upper left bolt and installed it front to back.

Check out this page of my web site and scroll down to "Issue #1".

Also, my engine sagged a LOT, even after sitting on the mount for six months prior to doing the cowling. Probably a 3/8 to 1/2". :(

Good luck.

I put the nuts aft on all six motor mount to firewall bolts. Reduces the cuts one gets when working behind the engine. Inspection is easy either way.

Me too

Had the same problem. I also installed one of the bolts backwards - called Van's and they said no big deal.

Backwards? Hmm, the recommended way for aircraft bolts is nut aft or nut down. I think that is in AC 43.13. Maybe there is a special recommendation for motor mount bolts, I don't know.

Thanks

Thanks fellows,

Put on the engine last night and went pretty painless installing the bolts backwards. To put the two lower bolts nut forward, I would have had to jack the airplane, pull the mount, install bolts, and reinstall the mount. Could be in the plans somewhere but I couldn't find it.

Back