What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-719, F-719B, DWG 23

wirejock

Well Known Member
Anyone remember how you installed these?
Locating and drilling it to the skin is not a problem how did you locate and drill F-719B Angle Clip to F-719 Fwd Skin Stiffener and F-601B Stiffener?

Also, the joggle doesn't fit very well. Did you make a shim for the space between the stiffener and the skin?

That bracket was a bit tricky to drill. Here is my journal entry:
http://www.aclog.com/rv-9a/index.php?c=3#727

and a picture:
DCP_2662.JPG

I just checked my build log to see what I did. My only comment was, "That was fun. I?m glad I bought the angle drill."

As I recall, pre-drilled the holes in F-719B and I think maybe F-601B . I clamped the clips in place and used an angle drill to match drill the hole in the vertical flange of F-719B to F-601, and the horizontal flange of F-719 to F-719B.

I too was completely unimpressed by the joggle in both F-719s. After messing them up I ordered a new pair from Van's, which were essentially identical (not well joggled). I used a steel plate, bucking bar and dead-blow mallet to try to joggle them a little better, and maybe succeeded a little. There was still a slight "dish" in the side skin, though, and I wish I'd used a shim in between the skin and stiffener. I did look at a number of RVs at Oshkosh, including polished ones, and saw an awful lot that looked about the same or worse.

I had asked Van's if it would be OK to cut the aft ends off of the stiffeners and attach them to the F-704 flange with some .063 clips or even pieces of angle riveted in. I never did get a response to that question, but honestly if I were to build another RV that's probably what I'd do.

Looking at my log I dont see where I had any issue. I dont specifically remember this piece other than I thought it was going to be harder than it was. If I were doing it today I would measure 5/16" (per detail B) to find the center of the flange in F-601B. Using Detail B I would measure up from the F-719 and then find the intersection. I would then under drill it to a #40.

Since detail B is Full Scale, I would measure and mark where the hole on 719B should be and then place a mark on the part; then try to eyeball the mark through the #40 hole I made. Clamp. Drill to #30.

I hope that is what you were looking for.

PS: Im not sure what joggle you are referring to. I did not use any shims here.

Last edited:
Looking at it again you can measure, mark and drill the hole into 719B on the bench. Uncleco and peel back the skin. Measure and mark the flange of 601B, place the 719B on the 719 and locate the mark in 601B in the hole you drilled. Clamp and drill. Then drill the holes from 719B -> 719. Rivet everything and replace the skin. Actually, now that I think of it I think this is how I did it.

Thanks

Thanks all for the tips. I now know how I will do it and I will also put a shim in between to reduce the skin deformation.

Back