What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3: First Power!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
It turns out that the G3X displays are pretty easy to power up with a temporary harness! I built one the other day, just to see the panel lit up. Mostly it takes power, ground, and a couple of CAN lines. You also need to ground a configuration pin on the display that you want to be the PFD, and then there are a couple of pins that you ground to put the system in ?Demo Mode? ? this is really cool, because you can initialize the position, then ?fly? it wherever you want to go with a flight plan or using the heading and altitude bugs.

So here?s a peak at the cockpit of the RV-3 currently known simply as ?Junior?:

IMG_4365.JPG

There is room for four 2-1/4? round gauges (two per side), and a couple of switches vertically on each side, just outside of the round gauges. Current plans call for a GX Pilot head in one of the holes, and we are currently doing trade studies for the other holes/backup instruments. There will be switches on the forward panel of the right side console, and circuit breakers on the face of that as well. All in all, a nice, compact cockpit that you really do ?wear?, as Randy Lervold put it!

Paul

Paul,

I'm keeping up with the progress.........it looks like this RV3 will be one of the best. I'm green with envy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RV3s rule.

I'm thinking Garmin is going to love that panel. You could probably buy a brand new Garmin Aera every year for the cost of keeping those two units up-to-date!

Ah, who am I kidding... It's just jealousy talking and I know it. It looks great!

Flying "Junior"

I had a special opportunity today... I got to sit in the cockpit of "Junior", Louise and Paul's beautiful -3... and he let me play with all the new toys. What a treat!!! Paul's engineering background and NASA experience has really come together in this project. Without question, it is the best fit and function I've experienced in any cockpit. No stretching, no twisting, no tilting my head or looking over my glasses... everything was positioned perfectly and in a natural and logical place. Another treat... Paul set up the demo mode on the dual screen G3X system and I had an enjoyable flight in "Junior" from Carson City to Lake Tahoe. The G3X is a truly an amazing system, and Paul has done an equally amazing job of engineering it into a very limited space. Thanks Paul for sharing, and I apologize for the slobber (way past drool) I may have left behind.

Last edited:
Garmin over GRT?

Paul,

Didn't you work with GRT in a beta testing with the HX?? Why didn't you install the GRT system in your 3?? I just had to ask for a valid reason why?

Thanks.

Kenny Gene

Do you know of any standby instruments smaller than 2.5"? I have been searching to no avil.

Seriously doubt it - they'd be too small to read! Aside from a few individual digital gauges for specific paramters ( like voltage ), or the 1" vacuum gauges, I haven't seen anything smaller.

Thanks... One more question, why is it when I browse the RV3 forum I only show maybe 5 posts. However yesterday when I searched for example all threads started by you I see over 20 topics by you in the RV3 section! This past month I thought there wasn't much information here, but for some reason it isn't showing.

Go find the User CP in the blue band above the threads. Click on it.

Find Settings & Options and select that.

Edit Options, click on it.

Thread display options (you might need to scroll down to see this). Select.

Default Thread Age, select.

Cut-off, and choose what you like.

Dave
RV-3B building ailerons

Thanks... One more question, why is it when I browse the RV3 forum I only show maybe 5 posts. However yesterday when I searched for example all threads started by you I see over 20 topics by you in the RV3 section! This past month I thought there wasn't much information here, but for some reason it isn't showing.

You need to set the search period parameter to something like "the begining of time" - the default is somethign like the last month. We basically posted our entire RV-3 build on the forum, starting maybe 2009(ish)?

Paul

Back