What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bleeping Shims!

David Paule

Well Known Member
When I started this kit, I knew that occasionally I'd probably need to shim a few things simply because the parts that came in the kit wouldn't fit properly. I've now finished the ailerons and they were the first place that I had to shim for that reason. The nose rib contour, A-303, just isn't right. The forward segment of the upper flanges are too low, and it increases towards the forward portion of the flanges. The aft portion is okay and it's easy to fit them properly to the spar.

The thing that was annoying was that I'd caught that earlier and attempted, unsuccessfully, to fix them. They're too thick and the bend is too tight; I couldn't. If I was doing it again, I think I'd replace those flanges.

The small flanges that hold the pipe are fine. And even better, the skin bend for them is located properly.

I intend to use this thread to note other places where I need the (expletive deleted) shims. Feel free to mention your own.

Dave

wait'll you get to the fuselage - I had to replace the entire upper contour of two of the aft fuselage bulkheads, as well as use maybe 20 shims here and there to keep the skin smooth. The kit is not as refined as the pre-drilled kits are. But don't sweat it, jes do it. The -3 is spectacular, you're gonna love it!

- Steven
900+ RV3 hours
(another hour yesterday!)

And remember....the QB wings (and ailerons/flaps) are probably built using the parts pretty much "as is" (they don't have the time/money to fit every part with a micrometer...) - and the airplanes built with them so far haev been spectacular! So....perfection is a noble goal, but for those that come after us - decide upon your level of perfection if you want to get the airplane flying in your lifetime.... ;)

Now the fusealge bulkheads? Holy smokes - they need some work!

And remember....the QB wings (and ailerons/flaps) are probably built using the parts pretty much "as is" (they don't have the time/money to fit every part with a micrometer...) - and the airplanes built with them so far haev been spectacular! So....perfection is a noble goal, but for those that come after us - decide upon your level of perfection if you want to get the airplane flying in your lifetime.... ;)

Now the fusealge bulkheads? Holy smokes - they need some work!

Paul,

When you were working on the fuselage bulkheads, did you slice the flanges off of them, then fit them to the skin and re-install to the bulkhead webs? It appears that on my partial-built 3, that's what the previous builder was planning...

So so true.

And remember.... So....perfection is a noble goal, but for those that come after us - decide upon your level of perfection if you want to get the airplane flying in your lifetime.... ;)

Paul that statement hit me like a rock. I wish I had read it 14 years ago. :(
Still pounding cause Rosie said it would all be worth it. :)

Back