What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 magneto removal question

highflight42x

Well Known Member
Has anyone removed Slick Mags from an RV3? The left one has about 1" clearance from the firewall, Rt one has more. It's for the 500hr inspection - last time I did it the engine was already off. Don't want to have to pull the engine just to get the mags off, but maybe have to?

thanks,

- Steven
900 RV3 hours
(another hour yesterday!)

I had to get the torch out and go to work on a screwdriver top get one that would work. It will come off without removing the engine. Not fun though!
Bill

Mags

Snap On used to have some very short screwdrivers which could be further shortened by cutting off half of the plastic handle. I think the Slicks have slotted countersunk/oval head screws.
For the Bendix I am changing all the mag screws to socket head, a very short knurled head 'ratchet" with a short allen wrench socket will make the Bendix much easier. I also have a common screwdriver blade for the knurled ratchet which is much easier to deal with if it is short enough.
As a last resort, if all the wires and cables allow, loosen the top engine mount to engine bolts and let the engine drop down a bit. Every little bit helps.
I am doing battle with the Bendix right now and am done with slotted screws. Just ordered $20 of allen screws from Spruce.
If there is any way to make a 1/4" drive ratchet work it is easier than the ratchet screwdriver.

I got this set from Sears... only used it a few times, but it worked in places nothing else would fit...

21EuoaEjtDL.jpg

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-7-pc-bit-wrench-set-sae/p-00947477000P

Don't even need those. A 1/4" wrench and hex screwdriver bit will do the trick.

Maybe for some cases, but the "wrench" part of the Sears one shown is much smaller than any of my 1/4 inch socket wrenches. It can definitely get into smaller places.

Ooops, I misread... I see you said a "regular 1/4 wrench".

The trouble with that approach is holding the screwdriver bit in the wrench when your fingers won't fit in there, and having the ability to push down on the bit into a well worn screw head.

Last edited:
Back