What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spark plug Wire issue

Skid

Well Known Member
This past Thursday my plan was to head over to KBUU for some fuel. I had not had the airplane out much due to weather and I had been painting the new wingtip light bases.
When I fired the engine up it seemed to not want to run but I assumed it was just from sitting. It finally seemed to settle down so I taxied out to do a run up. When I switched from both to the Lightspeed, the RPM dropped about 300 RPM, I then checked the mag side and it was fine. I checked the Lightspeed ignition again and it again dropped about 300 RPM.
I taxied back to the hanger and shutdown. I pulled the airplane into the hanger thinking I was in for long day.
I pulled the top of the cowl and immediately found the problem, the #1 cylinder top plug wire, an automotive style, was not on the spark plug, it was completely off and about an inch or so from the plug. I was shocked to say the least. There is nothing wrong with the wire, it snapped back on just fine and I had to pull hard to get it off.
The last time the cowl was off was when I installed my winter baffles in early November.
Has anyone had or seen an issue like this?

Yes, some of the automotive plug caps are so air tight that you have to burp them when you install them on the plug, or a pressure change will pop them off. I’ve had this happen a couple of times in the years I’ve been using EI’s and automotive plugs. You have to let the air out and make sure that you hear the metallic “click” when attaching them to the plug.

Tip from some racer friends: 1. Use a small amount of dielectric grease, keeps out the moisture. 2.use a zip tie on the boot, keeps it from coming off.

What Paul said.

I spoke to LS about the same issue. An easy why to burp them is to slide a a small jewelers screw driver along the wire under the boot after you hear the metallic click. Never had an issue after burping them.

Gary

Wow, I guess this thread illustrates why a postflight inspection / ignition check is a good idea!

Back