- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2016, 02:55 PM

Default Canopy jettison handle?

I was watching the -14 walk around video on Van's site and noticed the gentleman mention a "canopy jettison handle". He pointed to a T handle protruding from the upper center of the instrument panel. I was wondering if that is included with standard kits or was it there for testing. If it is standard, is it there for emergency egress or some other purpose. The best I can tell there is a issue getting out of these types of aircraft when upside down so any improvements in design would certainly be welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:33 PM

The canopy jettison handle was standard in the RV-6, the first SBS RV, from the very beginning. The addition of the hold-up struts made jettisoning in flight questionable. I still don't have struts on mine and would never install them. But that's just me. Obviously most others don't agree.

If you install the jettison mechanism, I recommend removing the struts while test flying and acro.

The jettison also makes canopy removal very easy for maintenance behind the panel.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 05-11-2016, 03:36 PM

The design of the RV-14 canopy system is totally different from the one on the other SBS airplanes.

The struts do not attach directly to the canopy. They attach to the hinging system which the canopy frame disconnects from when the handle is pulled.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 05-11-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
The design of the RV-14 canopy system is totally different from the one on the other SBS airplanes.

The struts do not attach directly to the canopy. They attach to the hinging system which the canopy frame disconnects from when the handle is pulled.

I try to learn at least one new thing every day. Thanks for the assist!
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 05-11-2016, 03:58 PM

Default Finally!

Great to hear about this improvement. It should solve some thorny issues like jettison safety without compromising lifting ease, improving normal ingress and egress and changes in frame geometry caused by the strut

I always wondered why Van's didn't implement a canopy lifting and latching mechanism like on the 2 seat Lancairs and Diamond series.

It sounds like the 14 also addresses the nose gear issues. Good improvements all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post

Old 05-11-2016, 06:05 PM

I may be in the minority but I decided not to have a canopy jettison handle on my panel. I don't have a desire to do acrobatics and I can't think of too many good reasons to bail out. Especially if I don't plan on wearing a chute. Anybody else going this rout?
Old 05-11-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gahannaflyer View Post
Anybody else going this rout?
Yes and no. I plan on occasional aerobatics and want to have the handle when wearing a parachute. If I'm not doing aerobatics and not wearing a parachute I don't want it there. So I'm thinking of a removable handle of some sort.

I will go without the handle and aerobatics until I do come up with a good removable handle.

Built and Flying RV-14A N626KM SN 140093 http://n626km.com
Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Old 05-11-2016, 06:22 PM

I have installed the mechanism forward of the sub panel to allow easy removal of the canopy, but will safety wire the lever handle on the mechanism to the rib and omit a connecting handle through the main instrument panel. Reasoning: 1) I don't expect to eject the canopy in flight because the canopy offers a significant degree of protection to occupants including in a rollover 2) (and very secondary) the handle position is prime real estate on the center stack.

RV-14A Builder - kit #136
N314KC - First flight Mar 8, 2017, Phase I compl Apr 3, 2017, >150 hrs
RV-6A sold
Sport Pilot (weight-shift control) - Airborne XT912
Dues paid 11/2017
Old 05-11-2016, 06:26 PM

On my -7A, the mechanism is installed but the handle has been shortened so it does not protrude into the cockpit. (So I can still easily remove the canopy if I have to)

I do limited aerobatics and don't wear a chute. I suppose if I wanted to start playing around with some weird manoeuvres, I would set it up for an escape, but at the moment...

John
Old 05-11-2016, 06:31 PM

Default Canopy Handle

I have all the kits, and so far no release handle. Don't know when or if I will ever get one. I have given up on Van's supplying anything further on this supposed complete kit.
RV-12: Sold
RV-14: N354RV
Carbon Cub: N471CC