What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear leg question

Windwalkerar

I'm New Here
What is the height difference between the tall gear and regular gear, and what are the benefits of the tall gear over the regular gear?

Windwalkerar,
I have the told short gear.
They work fine.

While I don't know the dimensional specs they create about a 4" increase in stance on the ground.
The primary advantage is that you have greater ground clearance for soft field landings and more distance between the ground an the prop.
This means that you have more prop options available (read longer). This can create more speed.
Good short gear are not worth changing in my opinion, but if you are starting from a partially completed project, it would be a plus.
I think this also means a different (non-compatable ) engine mount from the shorties.

Having "short" legs never bothered me.

I'd say "don't fix what is not broken".

Daddyman
Dues + paid

Never flown a tall gear rv4 but besides looks i couldn't see how you could justify converting a in service short to long. I have a 2 blade CS hartzell on short gear and believe if you got to the point where the prop would strike you would feel it in your seat and see it in your attitude. Before i purchased mine i put blades at 12 & 6 and lifted tail to level. Not an issue

Back