What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How many 14's flying? Cost to build?

Bugsiegel

When I search Youtube I don't see many videos of this plane.
How many of these planes are flying?
What is the roll rate of this plane compared to the little brother 7?
Also, the price estimator on the Van's site does not have one for the 14.
what are the rough estimates to build this plane, not including the panel?
Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance

2 flying. Both owned by the factory thus far.

Thanks in advance

From the Van's website under the 14:

BUYING IT

The Kit price is yet to be determined, but a preliminary estimate for a completed, flying airplane is around $90,000.

We think the RV-14 will be a great addition to the RV story ? adding its new abilities and features to what is already the most successful line of kit aircraft in the world.

I've flown both of the existing, completed aircraft (one each tricycle and taildragger), and think they're wonderful airplanes. Roll rate is not as fast as the older, smaller brothers, but it will certainly go all the way around with ease. Gentleman's Aerobatics, by definition.

Of course, once you've flown an RV-3, nothing in the line compares when it comes to handling qualities.....

I've spoken to him. He said it should be ready for flight soon but then he has to put 50 or so hours on it before any one else can fly it.
I'm thinking of heading down there to see it and if possible sit in it to get a feel for the widened cockpit.
Why didn't the factory build the plane for him? Can they not do that because it's a kit and/or the liabilities associated ?

Part of my job at Van's Aircraft is as beta tester. I am given production parts and plans to build their newest models and evaluate the parts and proceses, look for errors and make recommendations on how to better make the product. The latter of these is almost non-existant as what gets to me is darn good.

This RV-14A is the first to be built outside of the factory as was the RV-12 I built a few years back.

THis aircraft belongs to Van's and will be used as a factory demonstrator.

Last edited:
MI and I are very close to finishing our 14A. Just waiting for the fwf kit and Stein to finish our panel. We spared no expense in making this our dream aircraft. We estimate a final cost around 150-160K including paint. We did many upgrades to make maintenance as friendly as possible. I will give a detailed report after our 1st flight hopefully by February. Happy holidays everyone.

From the Van's website under the 14: The Kit price is yet to be determined, but ... around $90,000.

The odds are good that the early estimate for the RV-14/14A is a bit low for most builders.

As noted elsewhere, final pricing can climb quickly. Using the Van's "estimator", a comparable equipped "all new" RV-7/7A is estimated at $110K and given the RV-14/14A quickbuild kit is higher than the 7/7A, you could reasonably expect the finished RV-14/14A to be somewhat higher than the 7/7A.

It's completely possible to build on a budget, buying lightly used engine, propeller, and avionics can be a big savings.

Much closer to Vans estimate

I have completed the wings, empennage, fuselage, and am nearing completion of the finishing kit. I have a new engine and propeller standing by in my hangar.

Everything is painted except the stripes on the fuselage, waiting to align the cowling before painting the stripes. I have made modifications for later maintenance, including gear stiffners from Woodmanrog:), and personal requirements. Understand every modification you make is just an additional month of work and a thinner wallet. I did it because I had time while waiting for each subkit to become available. The subkits are exceptional and worth the wait. I intend to purchase an IFR Avionics kit through Vans. I anticipate being between $110,000 and $120,000. I could have done it for less as a VFR machine.

If you were to peruse this website for a good rebuilt IO360 and prop, the Vans estimate is actually pretty reasonable.

Last edited:
Thanks in advance

I looked at a 14 being built in Fort Worth, it's a very nice kit but I would call it the RV10 little brother or two seat 10. Build price with new engine, CS prop and middle of the road glass I would estimate at 150k.

I do love this airplane and there is nothing comparable to it on the certified side at twice the price.

Using all the known costs, and some good estimates, I'd say 120-130.

Airframe kits + Vans IO-390 + Van's Hartzell Constant Speed Prop + Avionics Kit priced same as the RV-12 + an estimated 5500$ for the FFW. and you're at ~105K$.

Add shipping, tools, paint, and 125K$ seems reasonable.

You could try and save with a fixed pitch propeller and doing your own avionics ... Could also consider getting a used angle-valve 360 engine ...

Airframe kits + Vans IO-390 + Van's Hartzell Constant Speed Prop + Avionics Kit priced same as the RV-12 + an estimated 5500$ for the FFW. and you're at ~105K$.

Add shipping, tools, paint, and 125K$ seems reasonable.

You could try and save with a fixed pitch propeller and doing your own avionics ... Could also consider getting a used angle-valve 360 engine ...

Add autopilot, paint at (13k). Interior, headliners sidewall trim, something a little nicer that the 12 avionics like dual advanced flight touchscreens. Hope you can do it for 125k but my Rv10 cost about 200k to build. It was a little nicer than stock with a custom panel, center console and 50 k in the panel. Don't underestimate all the little stuff as it adds up to big dollars quickly.

Add shipping, tools, paint, and 125K$ seems reasonable. [...]

We're expecting to end up somewhere in the area of $140K - $150K for a nicely equipped IFR, glass panel RV-14A.

100k?

$100k +for a RV-14???? Really??

Those prices are making me feel guilty spending only $35k on my IFR -9 (including rebuilt IO engine and CS prop). My goal was $25k but the IFR stuff did me in. Of course all my stuff is used left overs from my VAF pals.

Maybe somebody will be able to complete one at half the estimated price and give a lot of those armchair dreamers some hope of owning one of these jewels one day.
Cj

Are you serious

How is it possible to build a IFR RV9 for 35000 $ when only the slow build kit cost 23000$ ...??? You spend then only 12000$ for engine, propeller, interior, avionics, whiring hardness, tools, shipping and crating costs, paint...

Simple

Simple, buy used stuff and make as much as you can. See advice given by Smokey Ray on this site in the past. It can be done but take patience, more work, and persistence. Already this year there have been some really good deals on -14 kits that were offered for sale by builders who lost interest.
Cj

Excellent question!

Marvin
No autopilot in those numbers?

This is one of many reasons you see numbers from a Vans estimate of 90 verses others stating 150,000, quite a range. Vans has no choice but to estimate a basic VFR machine and let the actual builder make the final decisions. For example, lets say we want an autopilot. Below is a range of autopilot options with just one supplier, Garmin.

The Garmin G3X Touch system has all the software built in. Lets say we want a wing leveler like an entry level IFR GA aircraft from the 80s and 90s. One GSA28 servo is $750 plus mountng kit, which is less than $100. We now have a fully functioning wing leveler, but course guidance is thrown in gratis.

Lets say we want both lateral and vertical Nav. Get two GSA28s for $1500 plus two mounting kits.

We want yaw damping? Simply unheard of in single engine aircraft a few years ago and only available in the top level singles today. Get three GSA28s for $2250 plus three mounting kits.

Wow that is a lot of capability, I bet we now want a dedicated autopilot controller head mounted on the panel rather than using the touch screen. Garmin will fix us up with two options the GMC 305 or the newer GMC 307 for $750 or $1099, respectively.

So autopilot is available at anywhere from $850 to $3650 from the same supplier. This is the basic decision tree we will follow with each and every step in the build process. It is both stressful and exhilarating at the same time.

Enjoy the journey.
Respectfully,
Marvin

P.S. - One last thought, I see many completed aircraft for sale at less than it would cost to build. Give it a few years and -14s will become available - a wing kit is already available on this very website. But, for some of us the build is as fun as the flying.

Last edited:
Simple, buy used stuff and make as much as you can. See advice given by Smokey Ray on this site in the past. It can be done but take patience, more work, and persistence. Already this year there have been some really good deals on -14 kits that were offered for sale by builders who lost interest.
Cj

I'm on this forum since 2 years and looking always on the good deals: I found often midlife to end of live engines for 7000-12'000 US$ , if I add a 1000 h CS propeller for 3000-4000 US$ we are already over the 12000 bucks you spends to complete your IFR RV9...
I'm building a RV7 in Switzerland and I found no ways to achieve this bird under 100K

I'm on this forum since 2 years and looking always on the good deals: I found often midlife to end of live engines for 7000-12'000 US$ , if I add a 1000 h CS propeller for 3000-4000 US$ we are already over the 12000 bucks you spends to complete your IFR RV9...
I'm building a RV7 in Switzerland and I found no ways to achieve this bird under 100K

It appears as whether grubbat bought everything, including the kit(s), used.
I believe him when says that he built it for $35K - IMHO this requires however LOTS of time, effort, some luck and patience.

Nicolas,
It does put you at disadvantage being overseas and I sence your frustration. It's not easy pitching pennies building a plane. I can't tell you how many deals I missed on VAF just by a couple of seconds. However VAF is the best place to find the deals and supporting Mr. Reeves in keeping this site going is money well spent. From my observation, the absolute best deals are flying but hey, you miss out on all the fun building.

Good luck and hope you can enjoy a -14 or other Vans RV someday.
Cj

Last edited:
Back