What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy interference

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Anyone with their canopy installed have the black block (C-01424) on the back of the canopy frame ,rub slightly while opening/closing on the C-01433 (small plate over the latch pin hole) that is riveted on the bottom of the roll bar? What did you do to get clearance?

Canopy Interference

Mine rubbed slightly, I removed about 1/8" of material using a Scotch Bright
Wheel.

I'm wandering if one of the purposes of these blocks is to prevent the canopy from wanting to move aft in flight. They do appear to rest up against the actual roll bar structure once the canopy is completely closed. Removing material would make a small gap there.

Canopy fit

Ron,
Mine rubbed slightly until I complied with the Vans Bulletin about fitting the hinge bushings. I don't remember the Bulletin number, but what it said was that the bushings in the canopy need to be filed flush to allow the canopy to seat properly inside the hinges. It was supposed to address ease of installation and removal, but in my case the canopy was not seating fully.
Marvin

NOTE: it was an email sent called "RV-14 Canopy Hinge Plate C-01412".

Last edited:
I checked that bulletin and mine appear to be fine. I have no issue installing the canopy, never did. I do not think that is my issue now but I will re-check.
Thanks Ron

The blocks are not intended to contact the roll bar when fully closed (or during closing).
The extended portion of the block is for propping the canopy partially open for ground operations. If the canopy is lifted slightly and the latch handle is then closed, the block extensions rest on the protruding latch pins.

Thanks, I'll trim a little for clearance and remember the closing the latch to hold up the canopy a crack.
Happy Thanksgiving

Back