What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing /taxi light question

woodmanrog

Well Known Member
Is the leading edge cutout in the RV14A the same as on the other models? In other words, will the present light kits available work on our new 14 install?

Kahuna,
Which is the brighter lighting setup, the Whelen round par 36 or the newer rectangular lamps? Also it seems like Duckworks has the proper mount and then you have to purchase the adapter kit if you want to use the Whelen. Does the Whelen light kit have the proper mounting hardware included? I'm asking here on the forum as other builders may have the same questions.
Many thanks and great holidays to all.
Roger (woodmanrog)

The round lights are MUCH brighter. The rectangular lights are just a drop in replacement for the old Duckworks lights that were rectangular for folks that did not want to replace the backing place support mechanism. The 14 comes with the backing plate that rivets to the wing for a par36 lamp. All you need is a PAR36 light and this retaining bracket to hold the light in place.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that because the RV-14 has the light mounts riveted in a fixed position. Any method used for attaching the light to the mount has to provide a means of making aiming adjustments.

Bracket

Keep in mind that because the RV-14 has the light mounts riveted in a fixed position. Any method used for attaching the light to the mount has to provide a means of making aiming adjustments.

Guessing Van's is going to come out with something? Is there a timeline? Thanks.

Guessing Van's is going to come out with something? Is there a timeline? Thanks.

The fixed mount puts the light angle where you want it. For adjusting to a personal preference, the round light has play in the mount and you can shim it to your preferences with the outer ring clamping to hold it in place. I can envision a small nut and bolt as an adjustment mechanism to stand the light off the mount.

Landing light bracket

This is what I have done on my wings. The beam is fully adjustable on horizontal and vertical. The only modification you need to do on the original parts (W-00017) is to install 3 nutplates. I intend to put in a Whelen Parmetheus Plus.

IMG_0110-800_zpstizwyyq7.jpg

IMG_0108-800_zps6bs3r10a.jpg

IMG_0116-800_zpsiaqw4lol.jpg

IMG_0305-800_zpszz4gnepe.jpg

IMG_0306-800_zpsrupcntnj.jpg

IMG_0307-800_zpsmysyesxe.jpg

Back