What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plans page 09-01

clevtool

Well Known Member
Van's is in the process of changing the plans 09-10, but currently it says to notch a yoke to fit E-00907. This has resulted in several calls to us to buy this yoke already notched. However if you bought or plan to buy our standard kit/standard 3" yoke it will work fine without a notch. The yoke shown in the Van's plans is a 'heavy duty' yoke designed to set up to 3/16" rivets. These yokes can be identified by measuring the thickness of the 'base' where the set holder actuates through. The base of 1" is standard, the 1-1/4" is 'heavy duty'. See the illustration below for how the two yokes interact with the E-00901.

14%20Yoke%20Mod%20-%20normal%20view.png

14%20Yoke%20Mod%20-%203d%20view.png

Last edited:
I'm glad Van's is changing this page. When I did this page, I was about to notch my yoke when I decided to check mine because it seemed like it would work.

It did work since it was the standard one referenced above.

Thanks for the input Mike.

Excellent Illustration

Thanks for the excellent yoke illustration. Nothing like a good visual to make things clear. What software did you use?

Thanks for the excellent yoke illustration. Nothing like a good visual to make things clear. What software did you use?

Solidworks for the model, Skitch for the screengrab, arrows, text.

Is it possible to embed a photo from dropbox rather than just a link???

The yoke shown in the Van's plans is a 'heavy duty' yoke designed to set up to 3/16" rivets. These yokes can be identified by measuring the thickness of the 'base' where the set holder actuates through. The base of 1" is standard, the 1-1/4" is 'heavy duty'.

Actually the tool (yoke) that started all of this is just a standard 2" reach yoke that does have a 1" tall base, but its shape at on the upper leg is such that it would slightly (but not as much as the heavy duty yoke depiction supplied by Mike) interfere.
The error occurred when the principles in involved in writing that portion of the manual assumed that there was some level of standard for yoke dimensions. That is obviously not the case.

The plans will be revised to say grind slightly if the yoke you have, interferes with the spar flange.

Last edited:
Back