What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 14 or RV 7?

SteveH

I'm New Here
Trying to decide between these two and have a couple of questions. I hope to start building early next year. Mission is mostly fun/flying for sport, pancake runs across CA with my kids, etc. Would like to try some gentleman's aerobatics eventually. Side by side seating is a must, as I have 4 children, all girls. Ease of build is a factor but not that big. I'm looking forward to building the thing almost as much as flying it and am not in a huge hurry. My heart has me leaning toward the 7 but maybe the 14 is the better choice? I hope not to exceed $150K. Here are the pros of each as I see them:

RV 7

10 knots faster
Better climb (maybe 250 fpm similarly loaded?)
Sportier handling, I think?
More engine options at this point? (IO 375, etc)
Slightly better looking IMO with the lower profile canopy
Relative cost

RV 14

More room/comfort
More range
Ease of build
Bigger/more stable platform with the shortened RV-10 wing
Stronger nosewheel (doesn't matter to me since I definitely want a TD)
Newest product from Vans (not sure if this means anything or not)

Like I said, I like the better performance and sportiness of the 7 as it seems to be more of a hot rod relative to the 14. Comfort is always a factor but I'm 5'10 165 pounds and I'm only going to be flying with kids for maybe 2 hour legs max at a time. And I'm guessing a similarly equipped 7 will be about $10K-$20K cheaper than the 14? For all these reasons my heart is more with the 7 at this point. I don't care much about re-sale value either.

On the other hand, the 14 doesn't look like a slouch performance-wise, and if it's just way more comfortable and a better ship then I'm willing to go for that too. I saw a post the other day talking about 2000 fpm at Oshkosh with two guys aboard. So obviously it's plenty sporty.

Am I crazy to prefer the 7? Or is there some unseen advantage of the 14 and having the latest design (other than what has already been mentioned above)? I find the 7 to be sexier and just fits my mission better and at a lower cost to boot. Is the 14 meant to replace the 7? I wouldn't think so since the 7 has some advantages and shares a lot of parts with the 8 and 9 anyway. It seems the 14 is more of a hybrid that will not replace the 7.

One consideration if your kids are small ... I bet it won't take long for someone to come up with a 2+2 kiddie seat option for the 14.

I would expect the -14 to be at least $20k more, but that depends on what you do for an engine on the -7. For your size, there is certainly no need for he -14. For your budget, you could out yourself in a -10, nap but without the aerobatics. Resale, which you said you don't care much about, would be best in the -10, but certainly better in the -14 than in the -7. How the resale will compare to he investment, only time will tell.

I would say, go with what your gut is telling you. You can't go wrong with either one.

Back