What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Added Air

jswareiv

Well Known Member
I added these little hinged opening installed in the wheel pants so I won't have to remove the pants to check or inflate the tires.

2how6sh.jpg

15s7e3p.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking of doing something like that. I simply cut out some small notches for my Sonex but I don't what to do that on the 14.

Is there a hinged door that you bought or is it a scratch built piece.

It sure looks nice.

faaaaaaaaaaantastic!

nice work Stoney....but does the door try to grab your air chuck or gauge when you try to pull it back out?...or does it stay open when over-centre?
It looks a bit like the little push-button latch for flush oil doors and such!

I'd love to have one about twice as big, so I don't have to fuss with getting the valve lined up perfectly! ( hard on the old knees eh?):)

Air Pressure Door

nice work Stoney....but does the door try to grab your air chuck or gauge when you try to pull it back out?...or does it stay open when over-centre?
It looks a bit like the little push-button latch for flush oil doors and such!

I'd love to have one about twice as big, so I don't have to fuss with getting the valve lined up perfectly! ( hard on the old knees eh?):)

You can't have one too big because it will hit that bracket that the wheel pants attach to. I had to remove them after the 1st time because I had them 1/16" too high and they were hitting at the top of the little door, bottom of the bracket. So you have to install them close enough to that bracket, but you can't go too low because of the bend in the pants. It really is easy to put the extended air supply in there and on the valve. I got them from Spruce. They are spring loaded, so they just push open and spring closed. It does catch a little, but really no big deal and if you pull it out correctly, it doesn't catch. Much better than removing the wheel pants every time just to check the air pressure.

So the second time, with the rear wheel pant only mounted, I drew a line at the bottom of the axle bracket, then drew a line that aligned with the tire valve. Then I got the door centered with my lines, drew a circle around the little door and drilled a hole in the center, then enlarged it to 15/16" with a Unibit. Put the little door in place, drilled one of the holes in the bracket, cleco, drill the second one. CS for the rivets, rivet and done. It was really pretty easy. Spruce is proud of those things though, they were about $25 each. Probably a little more than an hour total.

Last edited:
Back