- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJSWA View Post
Hi Ric,

Re - I ordered both the fix charge rate and stepped charge rate SH regulators. Currently have fix charge rate one installed...has been rock solid; and is a quality product...well worth the expense.

- I believe the step rate regulator is the correct regulator for the EarthX Lipo battery, not the fixed charge rate (as you referred to above)

Have you added the wire for the BMS (Battery Management system) and configured the additional Skyview widget? (and Possibly alarm settings for the new BMS screen widget) in my experience with the S/H Stepped charge Reg and EarthX battery change out, i had to disable the audible alarm parameters i had setup in the first instance.

I kept on getting the warning cry "Engine monitor" warning every 5 seconds due to the "high current charging" monitor function of the BMS. (This was due to completing a Skyview nav software updates and BMS widget install and settings and not recharging battery prior to flight.)
If you have just wired up the BMS to a dash visual warning light it's a good idea to have a good read of the meaning of the warning light "flash codes" prior to flying as it can be a bit disconcerting if / when it starts flashing and you don't know what it means. (Yes, i read that part of the instructions later, not before. That's normal isn't it? )

I also had to amend /adjust the "voltage" widget warning parameters to lower values so the initial charge voltage indications for the first couple of charge steps (about 20 mins from memory) were not in the yellow caution range.

Did you add an additional Capacitor to the regulator circuit?
(I noticed this has been discussed previously on another thread and i think it was Scott or Joe that mentioned there was already a capacitor in the AV5000 control module although i don't recall if the capacitor value was mentioned)

Re - Just installed the EarthX battery...the difference in weight is unbelievable.
Odyssey = 6.5 kg, EarthX = 1.9 kg, Difference of 4.6 KG! (10.12lbs)
- I'm confident you made the allowances for the significant weight change in your C/G calculations when loading the aircraft prior to flight.

I'm also guessing you may not have finished the battery instal and started the engine, when you posted the message, as you made no mention of the difference the EarthX makes to the engine cranking speed. In my case the increase cranking speed was significant. i suspect our odyssey battery was in the process of dying, we were having trouble with the occasional engine kick back on startup.
(our engine doesn't have the soft start modules.) I also changed to the later model, increased retard flywheel as well, but did not change the ignition modules @$1,500.00 ea Aus) to help prevent the starting kickback and the associated possible damage to the starter sprag clutch .
Had i installed the EarthX battery first, in most cases, i suspect the increased cranking speed would have alleviated the starting kickback.

So far I have just over 2 hours of engine run and flight time on this new combination. Once i get the Stabilator refitted after finishing of Sb18-02-02 and Sb18-02-03 (next weekend weather gods allowing) i plan to get some more flying enjoyment and experience on the combination.

Cheers,
As I just installed the earthx (while doing SB’s for tail feathers); I haven’t cranked the engine yet...so haven’t noted how it will perform. As to using the stepped charging SH. I still have the fixed rate SH in plane and plan on seeing how it works...as is. I will be looking into incorporating the BMS into my G3X...got to do some homework as to how.

I did install the larger capacitor per SH instructions.
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2018 Dues Paid
Old 03-18-2018, 07:19 AM

Ric, have you recalculate you CG yet after installing there EarthX Battery. I suspect it has moved aft some what.
1020 Hours as of 9/30/2017
Johnrv12@icloud.com
RV14 Wing, arrived and building at Rdog's new Hanger at 16X
S/N 140014
Old 03-18-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetguy View Post
Ric, have you recalculate you CG yet after installing there EarthX Battery. I suspect it has moved aft some what.
Not yet...you bet��, especially with my aux 10 gallon fuel tank.

Edit: I use the old military method to check CG...take er up off the runway a foot or two, if it’s not squirrelly, good to go!
Tho RVN)
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2018 Dues Paid

Last edited by Phantom30 : 03-18-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJSWA View Post
Hi Ric,

Re - I ordered both the fix charge rate and stepped charge rate SH regulators. Currently have fix charge rate one installed...has been rock solid; and is a quality product...well worth the expense.

- I believe the step rate regulator is the correct regulator for the EarthX Lipo battery, not the fixed charge rate (as you referred to above)

Have you added the wire for the BMS (Battery Management system) and configured the additional Skyview widget? (and Possibly alarm settings for the new BMS screen widget) in my experience with the S/H Stepped charge Reg and EarthX battery change out, i had to disable the audible alarm parameters i had setup in the first instance.

I kept on getting the warning cry "Engine monitor" warning every 5 seconds due to the "high current charging" monitor function of the BMS. (This was due to completing a Skyview nav software updates and BMS widget install and settings and not recharging battery prior to flight.)
If you have just wired up the BMS to a dash visual warning light it's a good idea to have a good read of the meaning of the warning light "flash codes" prior to flying as it can be a bit disconcerting if / when it starts flashing and you don't know what it means. (Yes, i read that part of the instructions later, not before. That's normal isn't it? )

I also had to amend /adjust the "voltage" widget warning parameters to lower values so the initial charge voltage indications for the first couple of charge steps (about 20 mins from memory) were not in the yellow caution range.

Did you add an additional Capacitor to the regulator circuit?
(I noticed this has been discussed previously on another thread and i think it was Scott or Joe that mentioned there was already a capacitor in the AV5000 control module although i don't recall if the capacitor value was mentioned)

Re - Just installed the EarthX battery...the difference in weight is unbelievable.
Odyssey = 6.5 kg, EarthX = 1.9 kg, Difference of 4.6 KG! (10.12lbs)
- I'm confident you made the allowances for the significant weight change in your C/G calculations when loading the aircraft prior to flight.

I'm also guessing you may not have finished the battery instal and started the engine, when you posted the message, as you made no mention of the difference the EarthX makes to the engine cranking speed. In my case the increase cranking speed was significant. i suspect our odyssey battery was in the process of dying, we were having trouble with the occasional engine kick back on startup.
(our engine doesn't have the soft start modules.) I also changed to the later model, increased retard flywheel as well, but did not change the ignition modules @$1,500.00 ea Aus) to help prevent the starting kickback and the associated possible damage to the starter sprag clutch .
Had i installed the EarthX battery first, in most cases, i suspect the increased cranking speed would have alleviated the starting kickback.

So far I have just over 2 hours of engine run and flight time on this new combination. Once i get the Stabilator refitted after finishing of Sb18-02-02 and Sb18-02-03 (next weekend weather gods allowing) i plan to get some more flying enjoyment and experience on the combination.

Cheers,
Thought i’d Pass on info I received from EarthX tech support....there is no need for the “stepped charge regulator” as long as voltage does not exceed 14.4 volts. Meaning the SH fixed rate regulator is fine..
Tho RVN)
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"

2018 Dues Paid
Old 03-20-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom30 View Post
Thought i’d Pass on info I received from EarthX tech support....there is no need for the “stepped charge regulator” as long as voltage does not exceed 14.4 volts. Meaning the SH fixed rate regulator is fine..
I don't think the stepped regulator design was done to protect the battery, I think it was to protect the charging system.
If the earthX is discharged a lot, it will try and pull all the amps that the charge system can supply. A 912ULS doesn't have a lot of reserve available so the ramp up keeps the battery from overwhelming the charging system right after start-up.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 03-20-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
I don't think the stepped regulator design was done to protect the battery, I think it was to protect the charging system.
If the earthX is discharged a lot, it will try and pull all the amps that the charge system can supply. A 912ULS doesn't have a lot of reserve available so the ramp up keeps the battery from overwhelming the charging system right after start-up.
Very good point....and the reason to upgrade. Thanks
Tho RVN)
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"

2018 Dues Paid
Old 03-20-2018, 02:38 PM

My only (relatively minor) gripe about the stepped voltage regulator is the amount of time it takes to step up to full voltage. Mine takes a good 45 minutes before it reaches its max, and it sits at 12.7 V for 15 minutes of that. When making several short flights (like a Young Eagles day) you're not getting a lot of charging done. I asked the manufacturer if there is a way to change the time constant -- there isn't.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 03-21-2018, 07:25 AM

I would guess NAPA one will work forever at 1/2 cost !
Old 03-21-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat RV4 View Post
I would guess NAPA one will work forever at 1/2 cost !
You can buy what appears to be the same regulator on Amazon for about $20 or so. I usually get 125-150 hours out of one with a small cooling fan blowing on the cooling fins. I always carry a spare with me.
N588DF RV12 #336 Sold
N73DF RV12 #244 Flying
Old 03-21-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave12 View Post
You can buy what appears to be the same regulator on Amazon for about $20 or so. I usually get 125-150 hours out of one with a small cooling fan blowing on the cooling fins. I always carry a spare with me.
I thought about going this route; however, what concerned me was when a regulator goes south...there is always a chance it could wreck havoc on “very expensive electronics”....just a thought🤓
Tho RVN)
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"

2018 Dues Paid