What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

flight instruction RV-9A for insurance

nedricher

Well Known Member
I'm about ready for airworthiness inspection on my RV9A so have been getting quotes for insurance. I am a high time professional pilot and am current in small airplanes. I was pleased with the price of the quote I got from Gallagher insurance. The rub is that they require 5 hrs dual in make and model to insure me, no way to get that in my airplane during phase one testing. I don't know of anyone with a flying RV9A that I could get dual in. I'm thinking of going without insurance for phase one. Just wondering what your experience has been dealing with this issue?

Dual

Go to Van's list of transition training pilots. Call one. They will accept dual in a 7A or 6A. They even accepted a 10.
RV9A Bill

I was a ~50 hour pilot when I first flew my -9A, so not exactly the same situation. That said, I went to Oregon and flew with Mike Seager to get the ~10 hours Nationair wanted. It was a blast! I can't wait to go back for -10 training (Mike, please don't retire). After putting in this much time, blood, sweat, effort into a home built airplane, the time and cost of transition training seems so insignificant.

Go to Van's list of transition training pilots. Call one. They will accept dual in a 7A or 6A. They even accepted a 10.
RV9A Bill

I have to call the insurance broker in the morning. Their quote specified very clearly same make and model for the dual instruction. Non of the listed transition training pilots on Van's website has an rv9a to use!

I went through the same thing transitioning to our 8. Finally was able to negotiate training with Kent Gorton (outside Atlanta) in his 6. It worked out great.

I have to call the insurance broker in the morning. Their quote specified very clearly same make and model for the dual instruction. Non of the listed transition training pilots on Van's website has an rv9a to use!

My policy is through Gallagher as well, and they only required me to have ONE hour of dual for my coverage, and accepted other similar models as long as Vans had approved them for transition training. I got mine in a 10. You might want to talk to your broker and question this.

Please call your ins co. I have dealt with this problem many times. Typically the ins cos will work with you on getting these changes on your policy.

Flight Instructions

Down Load Advisory Circular (AC) 90- 116, The Additional Pilot Program for Phase I Flight Testing.

This AC program was published in 2015. I had a paragraph added in my "Experimental Operating Limitations" allowing the program to be used during Phase I flight testing.

I highly recommend this program.

Call Tom Berge, Crystal Airport, Mpls., 612-418-9500. He is a CFI transitional training instructor with 20 plus years in RV's. Great guy, RV-7A, IFR. work:
612-418-9500. You will not be disappointed.

Jim Fogarty
RV-9A Flying

Down Load Advisory Circular (AC) 90- 116, The Additional Pilot Program for Phase I Flight Testing.
This AC program was published in 2015. I had a paragraph added in my "Experimental Operating Limitations" allowing the program to be used during Phase I flight testing.
I highly recommend this program.

Please don't abuse this program. It is for the purpose of flight testing of the aircraft, NOT FOR FLIGHT TRAINING!

Please call your ins co. I have dealt with this problem many times. Typically the ins cos will work with you on getting these changes on your policy.

I agree with Mel here. The underwriter is likely to allow the time in a 6 or 7. You just need to have Gallagher make the request. There are only a few carriers writing policies for this and they understand about the model differences. Just need to ask.

Larry

Gallagher initially told me 5 hrs in a 9A. I called them and said a 9A was not available, how about a 7A? They said no problem. :D

I also transition trained in a 6A with Mike since I wanted a 6A but I bought and fly a 9A . I had no issues with the insurance . I felt the premium was reasonably priced . I only had 100 hrs when I bought my 9.

Gallagher initially told me 5 hrs in a 9A. I called them and said a 9A was not available, how about a 7A? They said no problem. :D

Same here, a little more than 2 years ago. They did need a day or so to check with the underwriter and get the proper documentation.

Back