What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Autopilot servos not found

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
I just found that my Skyview does not see the Autopilot servos. I will discuss this with VANs on Monday but just in case somebody experienced this before, please let me know. I have the conversion harness for Skyview.

Have you already done the Network Configuration on page 4-8 of the installation manual?
SETUP MENU > SYSTEM SETUP > NETWORK SETUP > CONFIGURE
Joe Gores

I had the same problem. I had purchased the servos and installation brackets ahead of the avionics package and when I got to the point of getting avionics it was the SV system. This required the conversion harness for me, and also sending the servos back to Dynon to have them configured to talk to the SV instead of the D180. Did you purchase your servos before SV came out?

I seem to have the same problem, bought my servos long before the Skyview was available. Please don't tell me I need to pull those servos and send them back to Dynon!

Don, you can always connect a D10A/D100/D180 to the servos and upgrade the servo software to the latest one for this range of devices. Then connect your skyview back.

Thanks guys, a few things to check tomorrow at the airport.
I got servos with the avionics including the Skyview. I got the conversion harness too.

Have you already done the Network Configuration on page 4-8 of the installation manual?
SETUP MENU > SYSTEM SETUP > NETWORK SETUP > CONFIGURE
Joe Gores

I found that I did the configuration without autopilot powered. Did that today, it worked. Thank you Joe!

With our D180 in a7A, we could never find the roll servo unless the Dynon was up and powered, and then we reset the power to the roll servo. Could never figure out why and even swapped locations of the pitch and roll servos and sent the roll servo back but they found nothing wrong. We just installed a power on reset button that would momentarily kill the servo power and then te world worked.

After a successful calibration and test yesterday, when I started the Skyview this morning I had 2 alarms in red on top of screen:
Pitch error
Roll error
and "AP error" on bottom of screen
I tried to redo the hardware calibration but the line is now displayed in grey with the text: "Servo Calibration (servos not active)"
Did not find any help in the user guide or Installation guide and have no idea on what to do next.

Servos

Go back to hardware detection and have the skyview detect the servos. If they are not detected then you get the not active message in the calibration menue.

Servo Software?

[[[[[Don, you can always connect a D10A/D100/D180 to the servos and upgrade the servo software to the latest one for this range of devices. Then connect your skyview back.]]]]

The servo receives + and - voltage for direction movement and talks to SkyView giving position information. Surely SkyView is setup to handle this without "upgrading servo software with a D180".

Am I missing something here?

Yeah, I have a lot of junk, but looked and cannot find a spare D180 hanging around.
[[[[[Don, you can always connect a D10A/D100/D180 to the servos and upgrade the servo software to the latest one for this range of devices. Then connect your skyview back.]]]]

The servo receives + and - voltage for direction movement and talks to SkyView giving position information. Surely SkyView is setup to handle this without "upgrading servo software with a D180".

Am I missing something here?

WingedFrog - Your issue does sound power-related from what you've said here so far, but please give our tech support an email or phone call at 425-402-0433 or support at dynonavionics dot com.

DonfromTX - The autopilot servos and SkyView (or the D10/D100 series products) do talk to each other with a data connection, though they do so slightly differently (among the differences, SkyView has a fully-redundant data bus so that even if you completely lose one - say to a frayed or broken wire - you lose no system functionality). Servos that are newer than SkyView's existance have software that can talk to either system, but, ones that are older than SkyView's existance need to be brought up to date outside of SkyView before SkyView can see them. I'm not sure if that's what you're seeing here, but it's a possibility. Give our technical support staff a call 425-402-0433 or support at dynonavionics dot com to get some more personalized assistance here.

Back