What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cost of Painting RV-12

Cost for a pro to paint your RV-12

• $0 - $2500

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • $2500 - $4500

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • $4500-$6500

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • $6500 - $8500

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • $8500 ++++++

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters

txaviator

Well Known Member
I am not at the stage of painting my RV-12, not even close. But thinking ahead, I am wondering what folks paid (general ballpark figures) that hired a professional shop to do the work for you. I am thinking a white base coat, with two additional colors. For those that have a multiple color paint job, what range did you pay to have the work done?

I'm debating painting this myself, which is why your information will help me to make the final determination. Thanks!

We paid $12k for an arguably very nice paint job from a very good professional. Due to environmental regulations things like that are quite expensive in the NorthWet. That price included all of the prep work also.

Another alternative is to do most of the prep work yourself and have a regular automotive paint shop shoot the paint, in pieces, or course.

$5500 about 3 years ago from the folks at Euroair Aviation in Reedsburg, WI. They filled and finished all of the fiberglass

Simple two-tone

143WM has a relatively simple two-tone paint job (see photos for #55 to fly) with blue trim applied over yellow.

$7600 included fiberglass prep, alodine treatment. epoxy primer and both colors done in Imron. Excellent work by Edge aircraft in Urbana OH.

Wayne 120241/143WM

$5.3 K at Gillis Aeropaint in Oklahoma City for an RV-12. Calvin Gillis is a great guy and did the job with no paperwork and little communication. An old-fashioned transaction. I sent him a few pix of what I wanted and an N-number, and held my breath. It arrived (in Seattle) just like I wanted without any pix or progress reports.

I'm no paint expert, and wasn't looking for an Oshkosh show stopper, but people who have stopped by - quite few - comment on how nice the paint job is. I like it and will take their word for it.

The savings over a PNW job was about 50-67%. That's a lot! Probably $7-10K. I'd recommend Calvin without qualification. The savings would easily cover flying and transportation costs.

http://www.gillisaeropaint.com/

Bob Bogash
N737G

Go talk to Grady at Custom Glo, Northwest Regional. Can't beat the quality, the value and he's just up the road from you.

RV-12 Painting

We took our RV-12 to a local Autobody painter.
This was his 5th full sized airplane.
We are very pleased with his preparation and the appearance.
While at Oshkosh we received many compliments.
The cost was 4K even including any needed retouch after we have flown the hours off.

Back