What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip faring for stabilizer

RV12Roger

Has anyone developed a faring for the stab. Shape similar to the vertical stab, lightweight and balanced around the stab pivot point. That will be my first mod after sign off.

Stabilator Fairings

I’m working on a design that will require only two balanced nutplates in the outer ribs of the stabilator.
It will be Fiberglass and Removable for the States that have a maximum road width of Eight Feet.

Nut plate locations will be shown on my website soon.

Last edited:
Consider mounting it with hardware attached to the outer surface of the end rib for those of us who have completed the stab. Adding the nut plates inside prior to inspection and sign off could be a problem for the inspector - "not called out in the plans".
Captives "Rivnuts" installed from the outside would work.
Do a nice job and count me in as a customer.
Start a web businesses and write off your RV12 expenses.

I?m working on a design that will require only two balanced nutplates in the outer ribs of the stabilator.
It will be Fiberglass and Removable for the States that have a maximum road width of Eight Feet.

Nut plate locations will be shown on my website soon.

Add me to your list of customers!
Tom

Stabilator Fairings

Consider mounting it with hardware attached to the outer surface of the end rib for those of us who have completed the stab. Adding the nut plates inside prior to inspection and sign off could be a problem for the inspector - "not called out in the plans".
Captives "Rivnuts" installed from the outside would work.
Do a nice job and count me in as a customer.
Start a web businesses and write off your RV12 expenses.

The Fairings can be installed one of three ways
Removable W Hardware inside
Removable W Hardware outside
Permanent W Hardware outside

I will build the plug when I finish the Stabilator
The finished weight of the Fairing will be about 18 oz + or - each.
The Stabilator balance will add weight to the front of the Fairing

The weight and balance is my concern.
Full fuel and a 140 lbs Pilot.

Tip Faing for Stabilizer

Why are they so heavy?

section09a.jpg

The finished weight of the Fairing will be about 18 oz + or - each.

15 oz is about what this weights

Last edited:
Srabilator Fairings

Has anyone developed a faring for the stab. Shape similar to the vertical stab, lightweight and balanced around the stab pivot point. That will be my first mod after sign off.

I just finished the Plug
This is a link to my site showing the plug

www.joesrv12.com/Builder Log/al_02_02.htm

I would like to find someone with Fiberglass experience to help
With the building the mold, by phone and Email.

Or in Person if in the Tampa Fl Area.

This is a item I have know experience with.
Any help will be Apprenticed.

Thanks Phone # C-727-237-7367 Sprint.

Last edited:
Great looking! My first impressions of the 12 were it was a beautiful plane, EXCEPT for those ugly stab ends looking like something fell off, and the holes in the wingtips, that looked like somebody made a big mistake building them.
Has anyone put the nutplates on the end rib and then passed the ELSA inspection?

Tony, since I'm new to this I get to ask the dumb questions...

Is the fairing solely for cosmetic purposes...or does it have a functional benefit?

Jack, who's in St. Pete and will be looking at Mitch's -12 at Sebring on the 21st.

Stab tip fairings

Someone on another RV-12 forum is marketing a nice looking set of ABS plastic stabilizer tip fairings. Is anyone here (Jetguy maybe?) planning to do the same?

Although they looked very nice, I'd be concerned that after-market fairings could adversly affect the aerodynamic forces on the stabilizer unless they were properly designed, preferably by Vans, although the chances of that happening are probably remote.

How much risk is there in adding streamlined tip fairings? I wouldn't like to have the stabilizer break up in flight. :eek:

Caution Wil Robinson!

I would be very careful adding over 2 lbs to the RV-12 stabilator. Make sure you don't change the balance. Stabilator balance is pretty critical.

I don't think I would want my CG any more aft. I'm watching my diet and don't need any excuses to over eat. Solo with full fuel and bags puts me near the aft limit.

Last edited:
I would be very careful adding over 2 lbs to the RV-12 stabilator. Make sure you don't change the balance. Stabilator balance is pretty critical.

Thanks Mel. And of course I should have said stabilator, not stabilizer. Maybe I'd best leave it alone, seeing I don't even know what it's called.:eek:

Stabilator ends

I always thought the stab ends looked unfinished so I came up with a simple solution. I fabricated end covers from skin aluminum that can be panel bonded on after certification. They are flat (that's OK with me), do not add to the width, and weigh 6 oz each - with panel bond, maybe 8 oz each.

Back