What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Headset Stowage

Robert M

Well Known Member
Anyone have any interesting (or uninteresting) ways of stowing your headsets in an RV-9, tip-up?

Robert

Photos would be most excellent.

I usually mount a bracket about 2 inches below the sub panel on the fuselage side rib. Easy access, out of sight, out of the way of your knee.

We just jam them into the air vent and forgedaboudit. It doesn't have to be complicated if It Just Works.

The Captian's side:
i-3B6Rc8x-M.jpg

The "copilot's" side with builtin pony tail hair clip (?)
i-mh77jd9-L.jpg

Zip it up, bring it home!

I just zip them up and take them home with me. The heat is the biggest enemy of headsets (and avionics, and just about everything else), so one of the nice things about a compact headset like this is that it's not a major hassle to just bring a couple of them back with me rather than leaving them in the airplane.

I'm just about finished with that RV in the background, and just flew across the country (via 737) for some transition training. I zipped up the headset and put it in my computer bag along with my notebook and some 'work' stuff.

MysteryHeadset-small.png

How about behind your head

The gentleman who built my RV7A ran the headset wires to the top bracing in the cargo storage area that separates the rear plexiglass window. He also installed two coat hooks (one on each side) on that top brace behind the headset plug ins to hange the headsets on when not in use.

You wouldn?t want to leave them there very long when the plane is parked out in the sun but I have left them there on my $100 hamburger trips for a few hours without any trouble. If you do this same installation I recommend getting larger hooks. The small clothes hooks he used tend to not always hold the headsets unless you?re careful when you place them there. However I love having the headset plugs behind me with the wires naturally hanging over my shoulders and out of the way.

The gentleman who built my RV7A ran the headset wires to the top bracing in the cargo storage area that separates the rear plexiglass window. He also installed two coat hooks (one on each side) on that top brace behind the headset plug ins to hange the headsets on when not in use.

You wouldn?t want to leave them there very long when the plane is parked out in the sun but I have left them there on my $100 hamburger trips for a few hours without any trouble. If you do this same installation I recommend getting larger hooks. The small clothes hooks he used tend to not always hold the headsets unless you?re careful when you place them there. However I love having the headset plugs behind me with the wires naturally hanging over my shoulders and out of the way.

Got any pics of the plug location?

The problem with installing the plugs behind you is that they are difficult to reach when you have to reset the plugs in flight. Also, you have to be very careful when putting baggage in the back that you don't damage a plug or wire.

Putting the plugs low on the corner of either side of the panel works best, IMnotsoHO.

Robert, let me know what you decide. For 11 years I have been laying them on the floor, directly in front of the spar and just warning passengers when they get in and out.

We just jam them into the air vent and forgedaboudit. It doesn't have to be complicated if It Just Works.

The Captian's side:
i-3B6Rc8x-M.jpg

The "copilot's" side with builtin pony tail hair clip (?)
i-mh77jd9-L.jpg

Sorry for the thread creep...Scott can you tell me more about the ear plugs you use on your halo, looks like they might last longer than the standard yellow ones...

CQ1 Ear Plugs

As DanH recently posted in another thread "Ahhh, but those are not Halos..."

What you are seeing in Scott's pictures are not Halo headsets but are the far superior CQ1 headset from Card Machine Works (CMW) with their premium option for Comply Professional ear tips. CMW ship their headset with the perfect tube adapters to use a couple different Comply foam tips if you so choose. They don't directly try to sell you the more expensive ear tips, as they are available from a lot of sources, and they understand that a lot of pilots would rather put the dollars into avgas. We've seen Scott and Tanya use the both the yellow foam (which is what they ship with) and the Comply tips.

Capt Sandy LOVES her CQ1 headset. She is currently using the standard yellow foam tips, and has some Comply foam tips to try.

Sandy used her new CQ1 as we flew about 3000nm after leaving Petit Jean. Loved that she could hear ATC with MUCH more clarity than her Zulu2. Loved being able to wear her knit cap when it was cold. Loved that she would forget they were on during a flight...?.

To stay a bit on topic, Sandy stores her CQ1 in the vent, just like Scott.

The problem with installing the plugs behind you is that they are difficult to reach when you have to reset the plugs in flight. Also, you have to be very careful when putting baggage in the back that you don't damage a plug or wire.

I?ve only once had to reset the plugs in flight and I will admit it wasn?t easy - but it was doable. Having the cords hang behind my shoulder 99% of the time is IMHO worth the very rare times I have to reach behind me to either reset a plug or exchange a headset for another. I?m not a big fan either of the headset cord laying across my lap and getting in the way of flight activity because it?s plugged into plugs on the panel.

As far as being in the way when stowing baggage or flight gear they?re generally not in the way and when they are I just unplug them, lay them in the seat or on the dash and plug them back in when I?m through loading the plane. No big deal! As they say, ?what ever floats your boat!?

Bird dog,
Unfortunately I don?t have a really good picture of the plugs and right now the interior is torn apart and being upgraded. I also don?t have a picture sharing website for posting pictures on VAF. However I do have one picture which shows the headsets hanging in the back on the hooks. I?ll pm it to you.

Jim

Unable to email picture

Bird dog,

Sorry I cannot send you a picture. VAF pm won?t let me paste a picture and your profile doesn?t allow email.

Old pic

I wanted to keep the wires out of the way, put them higher than the upper baggage wall. The headset holders are mounted on the support. My better half has hers hanging up on her side..... The brackets were sized for Lightspeeds before we switched over to Clarity Aloft. In 10 years I never had to unplug or re-plug them in during flight.

Gary

25i5fz7.jpg
[/IMG]

I bent some scrap aluminum up and made these hangers. Shamelessly copied from Van's factory airplanes.

IMG_5722-M.jpg

IMG_5723-M.jpg

I wanted to keep the wires out of the way, put them higher than the upper baggage wall. The headset holders are mounted on the support. My better half has hers hanging up on her side..... The brackets were sized for Lightspeeds before we switched over to Clarity Aloft. In 10 years I never had to unplug or re-plug them in during flight.

Gary

Gary,
I'm curious how many hours you have on your Clarity and how many times you've had the speaker wires repaired?

Scott,
Probably between 900-1,000 hours for me and 500-600 for my wife. We have never had an issue.

Gary

Back