What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake Fluid for RV-12

JimMac

I just received a quart of MIL-H-5606 brake fluid from Wick's Aircraft. There is no label, or brand or anything else on the bottle other than "MIL-H-5606 BRAKE FLUID". It does not say "5606-A" which is what the RV-12 Maintenance Manual specifies. Did I get the right stuff?

Back in my military days MIL H5606 was red hydraulic fluid. It is used in lots of hydraulic equipment but I never worked on brake systems. Well the RV12 has hydraulic brakes so there ya go. I am on finish kit inventory so you are way ahead of me.
I am curious to the answer to your query though.

Ok guys, thanks for the response. Wick's must buy this stuff in bulk and package it in these non-branded bottles.

I believe -A is an obsoleted spec and I think were now on -G or -H rev, so Wicks prob hasnt bothered changing their bottles. That said, call 'em up.

I think mil aircraft are on Mil-PRF-5606H super clean stuff.

BTW 5606 is a hydraulic fluid, not necessarily "brake fluid" like a DOT 3,4,5 etc.....

A is indeed the revision to the document. The most current rev is H. Don't ask me what changed unless you want to pay me for my engineering services!😜

Back