What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing New G3X portrait touchscreen

bobmarkert

Well Known Member
It was a tough conversation, but my gracious wife gave the nod…… a call to Steinair got two new GDU 470 touch portrait screens headed my way to replace my legacy G3X non-touch screens. While I waited for the boxes to arrive I record all the current settings in the configuration module for use later during the re-instillation process. I used the screen capture feature of the G3X to save all my settings to an SD card and then saved the pictures to my computer.

The config module is physically located in the D-Sub connector that connects to the back of the PFD screen. My configuration module was one of the original older ones and is green which meant it did not have Connext® capably. The newer ones with Connext® capability are black. A quick phone call and a replacement configuration module was on the way.

The older style config module (green)

The new configuration module mounted in D-Sub connector

To allow the flight plans to also wirelessly upload to my GTN 650, I needed to run three wires from the GDU 470 PFD to the GTN 650. While I dreaded the thought of busting open the D-Sub connectors, the job proved very easy and fast.

With the wiring complete, the next task was to mount the new screens. The GDU 470 outside dimensions are the same as the GDU 37X screens but the size of the back case going through the panel opening is larger. I needed to enlarge the openings at the corners slightly so out came the Dremel cutoff wheel.

New GDU 470 touch left Legacy GDU 370 right

First, I clamped the mounting bracket to the front of the panel and used it as a drilling guide to drill the bracket mounting holes. The screw holes that mount the screens to the panel are also in a different location than the GDU 370 holes so I also drilled these using the mounting bracket as a template. Rather than trying to make a rounded cut as dictated by the new dimensions, I cut the corners square knowing the bezel would cover that area. Five minutes later the opening was large enough for the new screens.

Both the GDU 370 and 470 screens are designed to mount to the panel using a metal bracket attached to the backside of the pane. This bracket comes in the mounting kit and has rivnuts installed that the screens then screw into. In reality, many builders eliminated the bracket and instead just riveted nutplates to the back of the panel. That was the case with my panel so the old nutplates would have to be removed. I then used a mirror and a Dremel cutoff wheel and working from the cockpit side of the panel I proceeded to cut the old nutplates off the back of the panel.

The mounting bracket was pop riveted to the backside of the panel (left opening) AND working like a dentist using a mirror removing old mounting nutplates (right opening)

The “Smoke Test” was successful and another hour was spent reprograming the configuration module using the information I saved earlier and the instillation job was done.
All told I spent a day in the hangar at a very slow relaxed pace making the swap.
Yeah Baby!!!!!

Bob Markert

Last edited:
Back