What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tinting

Yes

It doesn't work like it does in cars - the plexi 'breathes', so moisture will eventually get under the tint and cause it to loosen up. I found that the static cling with small holes in it works better as a shade device.

If you want to tint the plexi, optometrists use Rit dye to make special tint lenses for glasses. You can call Becky at Airplane Plastics about this process.

Rita dye

It doesn't work like it does in cars - the plexi 'breathes', so moisture will eventually get under the tint and cause it to loosen up. I found that the static cling with small holes in it works better as a shade device.

If you want to tint the plexi, optometrists use Rit dye to make special tint lenses for glasses. You can call Becky at Airplane Plastics about this process.

Funny. I used to tint RC airplane canopy with RIT Dye. Leave it in long enough and it gets almost black. :D

Gila static cling is the stuff you are looking for. There are a few thread on VAF addressing it. If the window is heavily curved you may need to put some relif slits in it so that it can conform to the curve, but others than that, it works well. I've done the top side of my slider with it.
Tom.
RV-7

I tried to add a layer of automotive window tint to a polycarbonate visor. It greatly distorted the view through the visor and formed many small bubbles over a short time frame. Bought darker polycarbonate and replaced the visors.

Back