What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

McCauley hub question

AX-O

Well Known Member
All,
I have been doing research on the McCauley hubs. Lots of info here but seems to be potentially obsolete based on the dates of the threads, people gave up on trying the combo on RVs or folks figured it out. I also found info on the McCauley website.

I am working with Catto propellers to develop/test a constant speed prop for RVs.

I cannot find any engineering drawings showing dimensions between the prop mounting flange, spinner back-plate mounting flange and/or the differences in dimensions between hubs. All I can find in their 500-plus-page doc is 4.5 or 6.5 inches from prop flange to center of the blade. I did call McCauley but long story short, no help.

Does anyone know where I can find that info? I was thinking of using the maybe the C211 or C214 hub, or the C220 hub since I have a 4-inch extension on my plane.

Thanks for any info that you can provide and for minimizing the thread drift.

Craig has been running the first constant speed prop on the test engine/stand for several weeks now. Hope to be flying the RV version in Jan if I can figure this stuff out (fingers crossed).

prop hub

Two years ago when I talked to Craig the hub that Whirlwind copied was what we thought would work. I don't remember exactly the hub number but I took two to Stockton propeller to see about rebuilding them unfortunately they could not be rebuilt. They had two in stock that would work. Needed rebuilds I think he wanted $1100 each. I was waiting to see when Craig had time to continue with this project to pursue it. Hope to see it work maybe he can use my old Whirlwind hub and just put his blades in it. Good Luck

Prop

Seems like if Catto is going to make blades for a CS prop and for RV's are all running Hartzells the Hartzell hub would be the logical choice for starting the program that way you could sell lots of replacement blades and it looks like its easy to machine compared to the MAC.

Bob

Seems like if Catto is going to make blades for a CS prop and for RV's are all running Hartzells the Hartzell hub would be the logical choice for starting the program that way you could sell lots of replacement blades and it looks like its easy to machine compared to the MAC.

Bob

What I thought when I talked to them at Oshkosh. I imagine the number of serviceable McCauley hubs laying around that would fit the Lycoming prop flange is limited.

Using the Hartzell hub is what the GT propeller guys are doing. I haven't seen much about their blade swap but its been around a while. Prices were a bit on the salty side last time I checked.

I'm going to develop a constant speed prop for my RV-7. I am going to convert $8000 into a Hartzell blended air foil compact hub. :)

The question is over my head, but sounds like an interesting development project. Good luck.

catto constant speed

I think we are all wondering about the catto constant speed development. I know I am! Seems like with their development in the FP market seems like a sure winner in the CS market.

HI all,just made a 1939 Rotol Spitfire replica blade 74" installed on HC hub.
The combo is absolutely PERFECT ! These hubs are great .
For fun we call it Spitfi-RV-ization !
Ciao Alex-T

IMG-20181016-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20181031-WA0016.jpg

I think we are all wondering about the catto constant speed development. I know I am! Seems like with their development in the FP market seems like a sure winner in the CS market.

All,
The first set of blades are flying on a berkut. They put the prop on last Thur. Thus far everything is going well. I am still working out the installation on my aircraft. My aircraft will require a prop extension to compensate for the 4-inch extension i had.

The hub will be here this week. The second new extension will be here this week.

I have a loaner RV200 prop that i will fly until the Catto prop is ready.

Please be considerate and dont drift the thread. Thank you.

Back