What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Installing elevator/rudder

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
P5240004.jpg

P5240005.jpg

P5240006.jpg

P5240007.jpg

P5240008.jpg

P5240009.jpg

P5240010.jpg

Installing elevator/rudder

The above photos were posted a couple years back.

The "Z" shaped pieces are just some scrap 1/8" or thereabouts diameter wire I had laying around.

You use the "Z"s to hold the surface in place, which lets you have both hands free to insert the bolt.

I put one "Z" in each of the end pivots points, insert the bolt into the center (RV 10 has 3 hinge points), then go to the ends and put in the bolt.

Quick and easy one person installation of the elevator or rudder.

Last edited:
Great tip, Mike! About ten years ago, Taunton Press had a book about home construction called "Working Alone" (or something very similar to that anyway); it was filled with tips for the solo handyman, and I found it very useful as that was often the position I found myself as a weekend warrior. Even though most of our work on our planes is already prone to being done solo, I find it helpful when people post these kinds of techniques that expand the range of tasks that can be done alone when necessary.

--
Stephen

Great new tool! Also holds the nut for starting. IMO, this is the only place (besides a swing set) a ratchet box end wrench (thin handle, not a dog bone) is a "best use" tool.

Old Avery tool

Avery Tools made a nice tool to do this job -

HingeTool.jpg

The hex portion shown in the pic is threaded onto the end of the L-shaped pin. It creates an easy handle to get the pin inserted, and then handle portion can then be removed leaving the short pin in the hinge. The kit came with 6 hinge pins and is really easy to use.

Because the L-shaped pin is short you can rotate it clear of the skin slot and do a control surface full swing test for tightness when all of the pins are inserted.

It seems like no one is making this any more - glad I got mine. :)

Last edited:
Avery Tools made a nice tool to do this job -

HingeTool.jpg

The hex portion shown in the pic is threaded onto the end of the L-shaped pin. It creates an easy handle to get the pin inserted, and then handle portion can then be removed leaving the short pin in the hinge. The kit came with 6 hinge pins and is really easy to use.

Because the L-shaped pin is short you can rotate it clear of the skin slot and do a control surface full swing test for tightness when all of the pins are inserted.

It seems like no one is making this any more - glad I got mine. :)

I just took a welding rod and bent it 90 degrees and trimmed to size. I worked out great and was essentially free.

Back