What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which dipstick tube for O320 E2D?

sblack

Well Known Member
My dipstick tube ispart number 75735. The wide part of the top does not clear the engine mount. I can thread it in but there is no clearance which obviously won't work, Do I need a longer dipstick tube or a shorter one? Anybody have a number?

If the tube is one of the plastic ones you can heat it gently with a heat gun or lamp and bend it away from the mount and hold it in position as it sets and you will be all set. Don't melt it, just warm it up enough for the plastic to become pliable and get about 1/4 to 1/2 inch clearance.
Merry Christmas,
Mahlon

Thanks Mahlon. I think Will work. But is the tube in the right position telative to the mount? Should it be sticking up above it? Or flush like it is? I guess that is the question that I should have asked.

Thanks Mahlon. I think Will work. But is the tube in the right position telative to the mount? Should it be sticking up above it? Or flush like it is? I guess that is the question that I should have asked.

The standard engines sold by vans have a much longer tube which gets the wide part well above the dyna ring on the engine mount, and it makes it so you don't have to reach way down inside the cowl when checking or adding oil.

Tube

75767 is 10.57" long, 75736 is 11.57" long. Both can be used with the short extension which fits only on top of the longer tube. Both will clear the engine mount ring.
I like the dipstick as close as possible to the top of the cowl.
Both of the above dipsticks are available from Superior and ECI.

I got the longer tube 75767 and it seems to be perfect for the rv4 except the cap doesn't have the same threads! Why the %#?? would different dipstick tube lengths have different sized caps? Of course a new cap is like $100 for a small bit of molded plastic. Does anyone know which cap goes with which tube? It is not clear from the parts list which shows that there are caps which will fit both tubes. I am bewildered. I didn't see this coming. Any wisdom appreciated. Or maybe I'll just make one on the lathe to fit. I am tired of paying $200 for p lead terminals and $100 for a plastic dipstick tube. After a while you get sick of being taken to the cleaners.

I think I will chop off the top of the old tube and graft it on to the new tube. Does anyone know if these tubes are abs or pvc?

Back