What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil filter?

Robert Anglin

Well Known Member
I thought I would throw this one out for comment. We have looked at the Challenger oil filters before and did not pick one up. They have a new model out that has cooling fins made as part of the housing. Has any of you guys out there tried these out and what do you think of them. Anything good or bad to say with regard to these? Thanks, yours, R.E.A. III #80888

I have one.

I have one of the challenger oil filters on my engine.

Bad things:
I recall it being pretty expensive, so it may be a while before I recoup the cost in saved replacement oil filters.

Good things:
It looks shiny, if that's your thing.
It is easy to clean.
There is a magnet in it so if there is ferrous stuff in the oil it will collect some of that, obviously any non magnetic stuff will flow right on by.
If I drain the oil and leave the aircraft sit for a few hours I can remove the oil filter without any oil leaking out, i.e. any oil in the filter drains out pretty quick.
It has a 1" hex machined into the top so it is real easy to remove and reinstall.
Using a cleanable oil filter means less in landfill which might just be enough good environmental Karma to offset the fact that I burn fuel with TEL in it.

Things I have no data on.
Effectiveness of the element. It certainly stops stuff but how it compares to a paper element filter I have no idea.
Effectiveness of the cooling fins. They are quite shallow and thick so my guess is they are better than nothing but not much.

Cheers

Nigel

Good to know

Thanks Nige, that is all good to know. Dose it seem to be well made and may last many cleaning with on "O"ring replacements and did it seem to help with engine cooling even if a little. We have not had our hands on one as of yet? Yours as always, R.E.A. III #80888

ACS sells the Challenger filters for a Lycoming for $295; figure + $10 for shipping. Standard oil filters from ACS are about $20; figure $25 with shipping, although will vary with location and the number purchased at one time. $305 / $25 = about 12 oil changes until you are saving money.

I would like to know how the filtering capability compares to the paper filters as well. Don't see any data on that online.

erich

I thought I would throw this one out for comment. We have looked at the Challenger oil filters before and did not pick one up. They have a new model out that has cooling fins made as part of the housing. Has any of you guys out there tried these out and what do you think of them. Anything good or bad to say with regard to these? Thanks, yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Bob, remember these engines have operated with only a screen, so they may work just fine for a while. But, having spent decades as an engineer within an engine manufacturing company, there is no way I would run my Lycoming (or any other engine) without a proper paper element oil filter. IMO, cooling would be nil as it is very hard to cool oil. There are very dense internal turbulators within oil coolers for this reason.

O Ring Life

The engine has 225 hours on it now so I figure the filter has been on and off 10 times. So far the o ring looks fine but it would be a good idea for me to get a spare so I don't get stranded while I wait for one to ship. Either that or have traditional one handy.

Cheers

Nigel

Thanks

Thanks guys, any input on a new item with little technical data from the maker is always welcome. Keep up the good work, Yours. R.E.A. III #80888

ACS sells the Challenger filters for a Lycoming for $295; figure + $10 for shipping. Standard oil filters from ACS are about $20; figure $25 with shipping, although will vary with location and the number purchased at one time. $305 / $25 = about 12 oil changes until you are saving money.

I would like to know how the filtering capability compares to the paper filters as well. Don't see any data on that online.

erich

Challenger has the aviation market mark-up well sorted out.

The Challenger air filter for my Tiger is about $200.

It's a K&N filter for a slant 6 Dodge with "FAA/PMA" melted into the rubber part - factory price of $46...:)

Correct

Challenger has the aviation market mark-up well sorted out.

The Challenger air filter for my Tiger is about $200.

It's a K&N filter for a slant 6 Dodge with "FAA/PMA" melted into the rubber part - factory price of $46...:)

Thanks Gill, you are correct. I have sent them an E-mail with a passage that stated I understand the need to recover their cost of getting an STC, but in the market cost for AHBA that cost is not always merited. That what we really wish to know is how well their filter is made, what advantages it gives in filtration and cooling, in order to take a chance on a product with little to no technical data published. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Back