What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spacer for Silver Hawk servo to FAB

BonitaRV8

I?m at the point with the RV8 where I?m trying to line up the FAB with the ram air inlet on the cowl and it looks like I?ll need about a 1? spacer between the FAB and the servo to lower the FAB enough to get it to line up. Does anyone know if spacers can these be purchased or do I need to CAD one up and get it machined?

Thanks,

Scott

Pushing this back up as the spacer I had turned out not to be for the Silverhawk.
Scott still needs a spacer.

Scott - as I mentioned, look at how you are going to do your mixture control. Dropping the servo can introduce interference with the mixture arm.
There is a lot posted over the years on the vertical induction set up. Many of us have had to get or make different mixture arms and even mixture cable brackets.

You can make up about 1/4" to 1/2" in your alignment by cutting a shallow "V" down each side of the air box, hinge it up, and re-glass it in place. This needs to be done before you rivet the top plate to the air box.
You might also find some horizontal alignment issues. Many of us had to fabricate our own mounting plate offsetting the intake to help with this alignment.

Lot's of fiddling and more than one way to skin the cat with Vertical Induction. Van's never really supported this option as they switched everything over to Horizontal injection with the 8 and then 7.

I made a spacer for my carb. I used a composite material. I used the fly cutter/hole cutter that I had from making my panel (<$20). It didn't take too long. A lesson learned from me. Be sure to use safety wire on these bolts. Vibrations are intense here and my lock washers didn't hold for more than 25 hours. You can also cut and re-glass the snout portion of the FAB to change it's angle.

Larry

Thanks guys, I'll start with a 3D printed plastic one and once I have everything right I'll get one machinned; it helps to have a friend with a 3 axis CNC that works for scotch:D I was going to put the spacer between the FAB and the FI servo but I see in previous posts people have installed it between the servo/carb and the sump. I cant think of any reason that it would make a difference installing it in either location, any opinions or reasons to install it between the servo and sump? Placing in between the servo and the FAB will provice clearance for the mixture arm and I can use the stock Vans bracket for the cable. Also, I wont have to mod the FAB with the pan down for the mixture arm clearance.

Thanks guys, I'll start with a 3D printed plastic one and once I have everything right I'll get one machinned; it helps to have a friend with a 3 axis CNC that works for scotch:D I was going to put the spacer between the FAB and the FI servo but I see in previous posts people have installed it between the servo/carb and the sump. I cant think of any reason that it would make a difference installing it in either location, any opinions or reasons to install it between the servo and sump? Placing in between the servo and the FAB will provice clearance for the mixture arm and I can use the stock Vans bracket for the cable. Also, I wont have to mod the FAB with the pan down for the mixture arm clearance.

I am still battling moderate heat issues with my FI installation. It is still a little rough running at idle when ambient's are high. I believe that the oil pan is a heat sink, keeping my servo at 200* at all times. I plan to place a 1/4" Phenolic spacer between the servo and the sump. These work well and are common in the auto world between the heads and intake manifolds to keep intake air temps down. You can put the cable bracket between the spacer and the servo for a stock fit. carving up the FAB for mixture arm clearance is pretty easy.

I would definitely put the spacer on the sump side if I had a choice. However, if you make it out of aluminum, it won't help with heat transfer.

Larry

Last edited:
where is it best to have the spacer? Between the sump and the servo or between the servo and the airbox!

Back