What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Consolidation in the Paint Industry

David Paule

Well Known Member
Sherwin-Williams is buying Valspar Corp. for $9 billion, without much drama unless you're involved.

PPG is trying to talk Azko Nobel into letting PPG buy them. Azko Nobel, so far, is uninterested. There's a bit of corporate drama with this one, as PPG has been turned down, publicly, three times, and is still trying. The latest offer is $27 billion, roughly the same as PPG's own value.

I suspect that if PPG does buy Azko Nobel, that some of the current lines of paints might be renamed or even discontinued. Prices could easily go higher. On the other hand, there could be some happy benefits, as the two companies learn from the other.

This might be potentially good news for investors. But I wonder about us consumers.

Dave

As a PPG employee, there are a lot of opportunities to share technologies for the benefit of all of our consumers. You might find that the products get better across all of the different paint technologies, both at PPG and Akzo.
Traditionally, PPG has kept the large aquisitions operating as separate businesses in their relevant regions.
PPG regularly buys other paint companies that compliment its existing business. Although takeovers are not new for PPG, it is a pretty balzy move.
Only time will tell if PPG are able to aquire Akzo.
I can only assume that it will get nastier before it gets better me thinks!
The Netherlands have some protections for companies to ward off hostile takeovers.

Back