- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
Too bad the design requires canopy removal.
Actually it doesn't...
If the fiberglass on the sides, has been trimmed per the plans, all screws can be removed from the fwd top skin without removing the canopy (I have done it many times).

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 04-22-2013, 03:28 PM

It's hard to see how all the side screws would be accessible, but you should know if anybody does. I wonder if builders commonly find the canopy needs to come off due to fiber glass interference with screw access.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:18 PM

My RV-12 avionics deck cover easily comes off without removing the canopy. The plans show the way to configure the fiberglass so that all screws are accessible without removing the canopy.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 520+ hours (as of July 2017)!
VAF donation through June 2018.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:52 PM

Even though Vans unofficially monitors the forum, they respond best to problem reports sent in. I intend to provide as precise as possible a set of symptoms on these issues based on my plane. I encourage everyone to post in this thread their own precise-as-possible symptoms and to also send those directly to Vans. The "I am not alone" is powerful. To the builder that translates as "OK maybe it wasn't something that I screwed up!" More info is helpful - for example, I have never even tried to use the music input. If that is also problematic, it would provide valuable clues to Vans. So please post your symptoms in detail, and ALSO identify if you are Type 1 - Type 4 per this:

Type 1: Fully-installed original avionics.
Type 2: Fully installed original avionics then converted to the Skyview using the originally supplied adapter harnesses. (This is like Mitch's and the red factory machine.)

Type 3: RV-12 kits initially assembled with everything BUT the avionics; those of us that were "waiting for Skyview." When the Skyview system for those was originally issued, the supplied "conversion harnesses" did NOT connect up the headsets to the avionics! (It assumed existence of a cable supplied only with the original avionics.) A further harness had to be designed, and the plans revised. This is like mine.

Type 4: RV-12 kits with fuselage and optional wiring harnesses originally designed for Skyview, that do not utilize "conversion harnesses" like the Type 2s or 3s do.

Type Modifier -
Pin 30-37 WIRE CUT or
Pin 30-37 WIRE DID NOT EXIST. Ensure this wire has been cut if it existed.
"Please check your EFIS harness (WH-00020) to see if it has a wire running from Pin 30 on the 37 pin SVD 1000 EFIS connector to Pin 28 on the 30 pin AV-50000A connector. See drawing 42C-03. If it does, remove this wire or cut it and heat shrink the ends to break the connection."
Bill H. N412BR "Sweetie" Flyin' and lovin' it!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:01 PM

Rob Reese - how is the volume level on your stall switch? Mine is the same as the AOA beeping (and was the same before I put in the AOA.) Come to think of it, I have not checked to see if the Skyview volume control affects the stall warning beep or not -has anyone else? I am assuming that it is the Skyview that generates that beep based upon the stall switch being wired into the Skyview. Correct? (the D180 would have had a similar function???)
Old 04-22-2013, 08:33 PM

Default Stall switch audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_H View Post
Rob Reese - how is the volume level on your stall switch? Mine is the same as the AOA beeping (and was the same before I put in the AOA.) Come to think of it, I have not checked to see if the Skyview volume control affects the stall warning beep or not -has anyone else? I am assuming that it is the Skyview that generates that beep based upon the stall switch being wired into the Skyview. Correct? (the D180 would have had a similar function???)
The stall warning appears to be independent of the Skyview audio, and has plenty of volume. I believe the beep is generated by the magical mystery 50000 box.

My wife reported that, when flying today, with the autopilot engaged, the a Skyview-generated "CAUTION" was being generated on a regular basis, without much indication on the screen of what to be cautious about. The "CAUTION" was loud enough to hear, much louder that when the Skyview audio output test was being run.

I'll run a few more experiments next trip to the hangar.
RV-12 #332
N73HR Now flying!
Austin, TX
Old 04-22-2013, 10:31 PM

Along the symptoms I am dealing with, I am wondering if the AV-5000A box includes an audio amp circuit, or if the pots simply trim the various audio signals before they are sent to the intercom. Some symptoms seem to resemble an overdriven amplifier circuit. If the AV5000A generates the stall warning tone, it must have an amp. What else goes throught the amp and what does not? (In building the -12 I had hoped to avoid having to beome really knowledgeable on audio circuits, intercoms, etc. I was hoping that was all plug and play...)

When I first tried 2 Halo headsets and they did not work at all (though they did in a nearby RV8) As part of some very simple and hurried testing (panel cover not removed), there were a few times that the Skyview volume got PAINFULLY LOUD!!! This was not repeatable and was like a loose connection. Since my intercom wires were crimped not soldered, I will be testing by shaking various wires, maybe even soldering some of those crimps. This LOUD thing happened in both headsets at once, likely eliminating the wiring to the jacks as a cause. Has to be upstream of that.

(When all this audio is sorted out, we may also need another "It's not just meeeeeee!" thread about the LEDs in the panel switches...)
Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
It's hard to see how all the side screws would be accessible, but you should know if anybody does. I wonder if builders commonly find the canopy needs to come off due to fiber glass interference with screw access.
The canopy fiberglass has to be trimmed per the plans so that this screw is accessible with the canopy in the down position.

I have seen pictures of planes with a nice rounded curve here that looks wonderful, but will result in having to remove the canopy to take off the instrument cover.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 04-23-2013, 05:54 PM

Default Thanks Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by 664781 View Post
I have a problem with the side tone being garbled on both sides. Also when I go to isolate on the intercom the pilot side is clipped. I have checked the wiring from both LH/RH jacks to the control module several times and from control module to intercom, all wiring is per plans. Swapped out both radio and intercom with no help.

Working with Vans on chasing wires on the Audio side that is not on the wiring diagram.
Got my audio problem solved due to Stein. The SL40 side tone preset was wrong found a good setting and now all is well.
RV12 - Flying - Sold
Old 04-23-2013, 07:34 PM

TonyT,

Thanks for the picture. I finished mine with more overlap, so I see the issue. I like the look, so I guess I'll live with the consequences.

Rich