VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-19-2016, 11:13 AM

That was the idea! It'll look much better once I get my G5 in there and show you guys/girls a picture of the whole thing. The PFD side of it isn't perfectly centered, but it's the best I could do with the constraints and I love it!

Jon
Old 07-19-2016, 05:18 PM

Nice job Jon - it'll look even better once we get the rest of your goodies to you!

Cheers,
Stein
Old 07-20-2016, 08:26 AM

Default RV-4 Panel on a budget

Ok so it's not a Fancy glass panel like Fitz has but I couldn't justify the bucks required for a full glass cockpit for the type of flying I normally do. This is what you can do if you buy smart, look for used equipment (mostly here on the forum) and don't mind some round gauges. The carbon fiber look is from using 3M Carbon Fiber tape- easy to use, allows for screw ups and redos (Axel's idea). Just peel off a bit, heat up with a heat gun and reapply-easy. Ok granted the Garmin GTR 200 and the Aera 660 are new but everything else is used including the ex-military stick & throttle.

Had to send the used Narco 122 VOR/ILS for repair but it was a relatively cheap fix. The "used" Trio EZ Pilot also had to be sent to the Trio company for repair/update but if you are willing to deal with some minor issues you can get a reasonably affordable IFR panel.

"Sure is nice to have smart friends"

Last edited by olyolson : 07-20-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:37 AM

Beautiful panel Oly! To go along with the rest of the extremely clean airplane!
Old 07-20-2016, 08:43 AM

Default Panel

Thanks Fitz but now because of you I have EFIS envy!! But I think I'll leave it alone now and spend money on AVGAS for a while.

I must say though that I am really impressed with the folks at Garmin that helped immensely with the Aera 660 setup. Especially Steve who posts here frequently on the forum and gives great advice. If you've been thinking about a GPS this thing is amazing. Ties into the autopilot, receives WX & traffic, sends frequency data to the GTR 200, you can take a snapshot of the screen display, update via WIFI and if you get the GDL-39 3D you also get an AHARS which will give you a full screen EFIS on the GPS display, - worth checking into...

Oly
"Sure is nice to have smart friends"

Last edited by olyolson : 07-21-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyolson View Post
Ok so it's not a Fancy glass panel like Fitz has but I couldn't justify the bucks required for a full glass cockpit for the type of flying I normally do. This is what you can do if you buy smart, look for used equipment (mostly here on the forum) and don't mind some round gauges. The carbon fiber look is from using 3M Carbon Fiber tape- easy to use, allows for screw ups and redos (Axel's idea). Just peel off a bit, heat up with a heat gun and reapply-easy. Ok granted the Garmin GTR 200 and the Aera 660 are new but everything else is used including the ex-military stick & throttle.

Had to send the used Narco 122 VOR/ILS for repair but it was a relatively cheap fix. The "used" Trio EZ Pilot also had to be sent to the Trio company for repair/update but if you are willing to deal with some minor issues you can get a reasonably affordable IFR panel.

Where did you find that stick and throttle? sweet!!
Weatherford, TX
Old 07-26-2016, 07:58 AM

Default really sharp

Quote:

Where did you get the cool throttle?
Daddy man
Old 07-26-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:

Your panel is done in the same spirit as the one in the RV-8 that I bought. Like you, I didn't want a full glass panel for my mission in that plane, which is strictly day VFR. I think it looks great!
2017 dues paid!
Old 07-26-2016, 04:38 PM

This is a beautifully elegant panel, well suited to the mission of an RV-4.
Technology when necessay, but not necessarily technology. Well done!
2 x offender