Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-15-2011, 02:15 PM

Default stick bending

Just received my stick back from Mike. It looks great, didn't even scratch the
paint. Only took eight days from the time I sent it get it back.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 AM

Default stick bending

Just got my bent stick in the mail. Very nice job, Mike! Thanks!
Old 03-28-2011, 03:40 PM

Default stick bending

Got mine back promptly and in perfect condition. No scratches or cracks in powder coat.

Mike, you excellent work. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:44 AM

Default More info on bending your stick

The offset was determined by the seat ramp hight and the Infinity grip location.

The offset is approximately 1 3/4" aft. That is the maximum limit of the bend radius. Please see the photo's.

It leaves enough room to clear the seat ramp with full up elevator with the ailerons in the neutral position and allow the Infinity grip to fit with 1/2" clearance from the bottom of the panel with full down elevator.

You will need to remove a small amount of material from the Infinity grip where it contacts the inside of the upper bend to allow it to drop down and give the 1/2" panel clearance.

Hope this information helps,
Old 04-01-2011, 10:39 AM

Default Stick Bending

Got mine last week. It took longer for the US Postal service to get it to Mike than it did for Mike to bend it and get it back to me.
Very pleased with the final product.
It was reassuring that, when I asked, Mike took the time to explain his process....sand packing/lead plug/custom die...all the right techniques for thin wall tubing.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:07 PM

Smile Nice Stick

Mike did the 2-week turn-around for me too ... didn't even damage the epoxy!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:11 PM

Default Rocket stick

Just another quick plug for Mike. I sent my stick to him last friday and got it back today (thursday) less than a week. I wanted a little more panel clearance and wanted the stick a little closer to me. Very nice work with no damage to the powder coat. Nice Job Mike!
Ryan
Old 06-02-2011, 07:58 PM

Another outstanding report for Mike. Work was perform as advertised, and turn around time was OUTSTANDING! I couldn't be happier! Thank you!

N330FB - Extra 330SC
N340JK - Extra 330SC
N1WB - Waco YMF-5C
N104LF - Quest Kodiak
FD04 - Leeward Air Ranch (Ocala, FL)

2 X U.S. National Advanced Aerobatic Champion
U.S. Advanced Aerobatic Team Captain
Old 07-20-2011, 02:22 PM

Default Stick bend Infinity Conflict

Hi all,

I received a well bent stick some months ago but was just today trying to get the infinity grip on. With the stick cut down to the length necessary to clear the instrument panel, the bend is just starting to enter the Infinity. After a couple of hours of trimming and fiddle-farting, I cannot get the grip to close around the stick. Anyone else run into this issue? Any suggestions?

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Wiring
San Ramon, CA
Old 09-09-2011, 04:59 PM

Default Stick bend Infinity Conflict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwynn View Post
I received a well bent stick some months ago but was just today trying to get the infinity grip on. With the stick cut down to the length necessary to clear the instrument panel, the bend is just starting to enter the Infinity. After a couple of hours of trimming and fiddle-farting, I cannot get the grip to close around the stick. Anyone else run into this issue? Any suggestions?
Michael, I'm in exactly the same boat. Received the stick months ago, just tried to fit the Infinity grip this week. With the China hat trim switch on top of the grip just clearing the bottom of the instrument panel, the bottom of the stick grip is on the curved portion of the bend and will not reassemble.

I've enlarged the grip bushings' clearance holes in the stick to 0.500" in hopes it would relieve the fit enough to get the two halves together but no soap. The bend in the stick is definitely interfering with the bottom of the grip. The real solution seems to be to move the grip upward but that's not practical at this point (stick is cut, drilled, and slotted) and then it wouldn't clear the bottom of the panel anyway.

Have you solved your fit problem and if so, what did you do. Thought I'd ask before I perform Dremel surgery on the inside of the grip :-(

Joe Dubner
RV-8A
Independence, OR