VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-01-2009, 08:10 PM

That's going to be one good lookin' bird when you're done. It's nice to see you l taking the time to build these the hard way and doing a darn nice job while you're at it. Thanks for the pics and the updates.

Cheers,
Stein
Old 04-02-2009, 08:11 AM

Default Fast back

That really looks nice. I wish I was that far along on my RV 8. I just keep bucking around.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:21 PM

Smile

Axel,
Thanks a ton for the detailed description. I can see the 4 inches paid off - and now I have a frame of reference with which to work.http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ons/icon14.gif

I am planning a very different canopy approach on my Rocket. I have the canopy and sloped windscreen. I'll be making the canopy frame from scratch in composite. The front windscreen bow will be machined from billet titanium. The roll bar is fabricated from scratch in 4130 tubing close to stock RV-4 configuration. The mechanism will have the canopy slide aft about 2 inches with the aft end moving up at the same time; then flop over. Sort of best of both worlds; a flop over with front windscreen. I'm going to shamelessly steal your approach of lowering the sides http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...cons/icon7.gif
Rocket (under construction)
Old 04-07-2009, 07:09 PM

AX -
Very cool... I love my RV-8 Fastback, but the RV-4 has always been a better looking plane and with a fastback - how can you get better than that. It looks like your canopy is lowered to the point where you head is close -love it. I don't like wasted space that will create unnecessary drag. Yours is an airplane that truly looks like it's moving sitting on the ramp. And the bang for the buck, even with the increased time/cost of inovation, is worth it. Way to go...

Scott
Old 04-07-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteinAir View Post
That's going to be one good lookin' bird when you're done. It's nice to see you l taking the time to build these the hard way and doing a darn nice job while you're at it.
Stein
Thanks Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpilot10 View Post
That really looks nice. I wish I was that far along on my RV 8. I just keep bucking around.
Keep bucking you will get there. My RV-8 is on hold at the moment. you will be further along than me and many others before you know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryj View Post
Axel,
Thanks a ton for the detailed description. I'll be making the canopy frame from scratch in composite. I'm going to shamelessly steal your approach of lowering the sides
Your welcome. If I had to to it again, I would do it out of glass. A friend of mine told me to do it that way but I was not as comfortable with glass as I am with metal. The ideas that we all post are to help each other out. hope you like the look of the lower canopy as much as I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hersha View Post
AX -
It looks like your canopy is lowered to the point where you head is close Scott
Scott, I sat inside many times and made sure I had just enough space. I wanted the canopy as low as possible in order to reduce flat plate area.
West Coast Ravens
VAF 2017 paid VAF 704
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weight out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:59 PM

Got a few request for pics of the canopy shock and bracket installation. I am not done as you can see (hardware, paint, etc) but it will give you guys an idea. Still thinking about drilling holes and making it lighter. The shock was purchased from Napa. The part number is Turbolift 819-5584 (25 PSI, approx 9 to 12 inches long). The bracket is made out of 2 alum angles. One sits on top of the canopy rail flange and the other one sits on the rollbar flange. They maybe more than needed but I live in an area were winds can rip the canopy off. I will also have a small lanyard as a secondary aid.

West Coast Ravens
VAF 2017 paid VAF 704
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weight out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:07 PM

The past week has been packed with RV building activity. My dad flew from TX to CA and gave me a hand. The week started very slow due to all the prep work but by the end of the week we saw major progress. We riveted the fastback bulkheads, the fastback skin, painted the baggage area, ran the static lines, and mounted the horizontal and vertical stab. I will try to take better pics soon. These were taken at 1230 am on the last night dad was here.

My dad

West Coast Ravens
VAF 2017 paid VAF 704
Old 04-19-2009, 11:32 PM

Darn thing's looking like an airplane! Whens the first flight? I'll bring the ice cream .
Old 04-21-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxuser View Post
Darn thing's looking like an airplane! Whens the first flight? I'll bring the ice cream .
I don't know but I hope it is before the end of the year.
West Coast Ravens
VAF 2017 paid VAF 704
Old 04-22-2009, 12:10 AM

Lookin' good!