VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-27-2008, 10:43 AM

I had this same problem on the -4 we bought. I used the existing bracket mounted on the seatback as a template and made a new one with deeper detents.
On a flying -4, the bracket fix might be easier than reinforcing the flap handle.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:48 AM

I hate to bring this one back from the dead--but I'm having the exact same issue on my -4 and all the pictures/links are non longer valid so I was hoping to see if anyone had another source they could share versus re-inventing the wheel; the whole "picture is worth a thousand words" theory. I found Arts email in another (circa 2008) forum post but that email address is no longer valid either.

I keep it under 100mph before I even touch the handle so at this point, I think being a 34 year old RV--the handle and/or detents (which are slightly rounded) need a little work to get back in spec. My original idea was to simply build up the detents so the slot is effectively 'deeper' to prevent the flaps (specifically the second notch) from slipping out of position--but if there is a more effective/easier way to correct this, I'm all ears!
Old 04-09-2017, 03:23 PM

Default Flap Handle

My 4 is "only" 29 Yrs Old, but I have found that it requires much less force to get the second notch of flaps on if I get the IAS down below 80 Kts first. In fact if I try to deploy the 2nd notch of flaps and feel a high resistance to moving the handle, I check the AS and lift the nose a little to get it there.

Having said that, I did add a .060" thick plate to the outside of the 2nd notch block on the side of the seat a few years ago. It creates a ledge for the flap handle knife edge to bear against when the flaps are deployed. I did that mod after the flap handle slipped out of the notch on a landing. Landing came out ok, but surprised the heck out of me when it happened.

Mel B.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:32 AM

Had a similar issue getting the handle to the full flap notch, the gear handle finally BROKE where it attaches to the round stock.
We repaired the handle with a weld, and lowered the full flap notch a bit on the side of the seat.
Also, I made sure that the angle on the bottom of the gear handle matched the angle of the notch on the seat.
Everything works now, although it can be finicky. I will definitely look into the mods posted here.

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2017, 08:04 AM

For what it's worth, it has been corrected for now. After doing some slow-flight and looking closer on the ground, I removed the flap handle and placed it in my vice; took some channel locks and tweaked the section that catches the notches--inboard towards the seat. Now it engages positively. I now just leave the flaps down when hangared as it relieves all pressure off the bar and I'd presume will increase time between the next adjustment.

Sometimes it's easy to overthink things.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:48 PM

Thumbs up Mod

Funny to see this thread reappear😉
In the end I went electric and don't regret it at all. Pretty easy mod and of course, eliminates the handle.

Membership due Oct., 2017
RV-4 0-360-180 Catto 3-blade C-FTDQ...
Old 04-27-2017, 11:40 AM

Default Nothing new under the sun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777Dave View Post
Funny to see this thread reappear😉
In the end I went electric and don't regret it at all. Pretty easy mod and of course, eliminates the handle.
Yes it seems there are no new questions or answers. just new people asking them.
I built my RV4 per the plans in the last century before internet chat groups. The builders group posted a article on the now defunct "RV8R" newsletter for a flap handle "stair step" mod. I installed it on mine which makes it impossible to pop out of the detent without pulling slightly up first. I also "reflexed" my flaps in the bottom notch per the Maule Flap arrangement with a 2 degree up flap past neutral. This added a knot or two in cruise, just as it does on the Maule.
I like manual flaps for STOL takeoffs from soft turf, STOL landings to raise immediately upon touchdown and of course the perfunctory 1V1 dogfight...
V/R
Smokey