VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-15-2011, 06:45 AM

Default Setting up the AOA alarm

I installed a fuel pump switch so that it is not necessary to pull the fuse anymore when I want to play with the Dynon. Not wanting to listen to the fan noise while setting up the AOA alarm on the Dynon, I donned my Bilsom Thunder T3 ear muffs.
I entered the EFIS > SETUP > AOAALM menu and set the alarm to go off at the top of yellow chevron. There is a test button to see what it sounds like. I pushed it but nothing. Those Dynon menus can be confusing. Maybe I did something wrong. Then I noticed that the intercom was on isolate. I switched it to ICS. Still nothing. So then I turned on the com radio and pulled the squelch knob out. Still nothing. Hmm, what is wrong with the sound in my airplane? Well duh, how could I expect to hear anything while wearing my Bilsom Thunder T3 ear muffs? I took them off and put on my headset and pushed the test button again. A woman's voice said, "STALL", and there was a steady lower-pitched alarm tone.
Joe Gores

Last edited by Mich48041 : 10-15-2011 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Moved smiley face
Old 10-15-2011, 07:48 AM

I know that trying to fly with pre-alzheimers symptoms is pretty rough Joe.
Retired US Army Officer
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....X&project=1903
Old 11-06-2011, 06:28 PM

Installed the Joe Gore's AOA deal last weekend, and calibrated it today. A very easy installation and works like a charm. Thanks Joe! I used the volleyball inflating tubes and 1/8" Tygon tubing. The only change I made was to use slip fittings as offered by Mcmaster Carr to make the tubing connections. A coupling at the wing and a 1'8" npt connector at the Dynon connection. THe 1/8" tubing can be pulled thru the 1/4 bushings installed in the wing ribs earlier using the string we all left there when building the wing. The calibration was interesting as you really have to be aggressive to get the stalls w/i 45 seconds. I had to do that with a couple restarts. I strongly recommend that whoever follows thru on this take a helper along on the calibration as it gets busy flying aggressive (power on ) stalls.
I did not set up an alarm on the Dynon as my stall warning provided with the 12 was perfect with each stall. I saw no need to have more than one horn sounding off. While I tried only a few stalls after calibration I can clearly see where the AOA feature will allow me to accurately get my across the numbers of 50 kts as well as providing a picture view of where I am relative to a stall in any flight mode. I heartily recommend that all 12 drivers take advantage of this feature which is provided by the Dynon 180.
Thanks again Joe.
Dick Seiders
Old 11-06-2011, 08:02 PM

Dick,
I'm pleased to read about your success with the AOA. I suggest that you enable the alarm on the AOA and give it a try. A beautiful woman says, "STALL".
It is hard to beat the price of the probe, about one percent of the cost of the commercial model. And it does not stick out past the leading edge of the wing where it could be damaged.
Here is a link to the Push-to-Connect fitting that Dick used:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#push-to-con...ttings/=etnqlc Part number: 51025k171. They also sell bulkhead fittings for a wing to fuselage coupling. Or you can make your own with another inflating needle.
The hardest part of the installation is routing the tubing. Dick and I cheated by going through the cockpit along the left side. That 1/8" tubing can fit through small holes.
While reading Dick's post, I again noticed Don's remark above. I had intended to post a smart comeback but forgot. Maybe he is right.
Joe Gores

Last edited by Mich48041 : 11-06-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Added part number
Old 11-07-2011, 07:07 AM

Joe - I am VERY interested because I will eventually be operating off a short grass strip. Is it correct that the wing sensor must protrude as opposed to using a standard static port like this? http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...aticports2.php How did you get that very even gray glue bead? And did you just route the tubing in the wing through the large lightening holes or did you pull it through the bushings with the wires?
The unheated dynon probe is $200 and requires a $125 mounting bracket. The description of the Dynon probe says that the AOA port is "especially sensitive to AOA" but it looks like just a hole on a polished ~30 degree surface which is why I was wondering about using a static port. http://www.dynonavionics.com/images/...w_unheated.jpg
Old 11-07-2011, 07:57 AM

Bill,
I do not know if the probe needs to protrude or not. The way that I did it works. A flush port may or may not work. If you install the 15160 static port and it does not work out, there will be a 1/4" hole in the wing. You could try using a rivet like those installed on each side of the fuselage for the static system. The advantage of the inflating needle is its perfect size for connecting the 1/8" Tygon tubing. Another option is to cut the threads off from the needle so that it looks like a nail. There would not be much sticking out. But who knows if a flush probe will work? It is worth a try. You could always replace it. Nobody notices my AOA probe because it is slightly under the leading edge of the wing. When I want to show it off, I have to point out its location. A protruding probe is less likely to be filled with paint or wax.
As for the glue bead, I waited for the glue to thicken before applying so that it would not run. I spun the inflating needle in the hole to get a uniform glue bead. If I were to do it again, I would use a much smaller amount (one drop) of epoxy glue so that it would not show.
During construction I had installed extra plastic bushings in the wing ribs for future projects like this. The tubing can be pulled along with wires and share the same bushings if there is room. That should not be a problem unless the wires need more room for ventilation. I doubt that the wires get that warm though.
Joe Gores
Old 11-07-2011, 10:32 AM

One nice thing about your choice is that - with that small protruding portion - with a close-fitting rubber tube you can attach a bug-eliminating remove-before-flight streamer.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:50 PM

Bill, a valve cap works fine. Just screw it onto the protruding threads.
Dick Seiders
Old 11-07-2011, 06:42 PM

Smile Stall speed

Dick, about a year ago in another thread you made the comment that the flaps down stall speed in your RV-12 was in the 30's. You didn't get any feedback so you dropped the subject. I am curious if you have further thoughts on the subject in light of the installation (no pun intended) of your AOA indicator.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:47 AM

Alan, I answered your question on a PM as you requested yesterday. Since it's on the forum now as well I will say essentially the same thing. Probably mis-read the IAS while trying to keep the ball centered on the power on stall. Additionally I did a few months later discover a static leak on the left side which also may have influenced the numbers. As stated in the PM I never flew the airplane with the low stall numbers as I preferred to use Van's published stall figures. Regarding the AOA the AOA indicator and the airspeed numbers are totally in sync. I think I could probably land it on a carrier now. Do it (AOA) if you have a 12, and you will appreciate it I'm certain.
Dick Seiders