VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-17-2017, 03:21 AM

Default Boomtype

I am still very, very curious for your answers to Tim's question #42: what about the Dynon ..532 boom type probe?
I myself am just working to this stadium. Haven't build the engine in yet, but I didn't buy the RV-pitot tube for this reason.
It sure saves a lot of plumbing and trouble. The boom works as a stall warning as well, so I intend not to bother for that one either when building the wings
Bought project & building RV12 #120742
Old 04-17-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansLab View Post
It sure saves a lot of plumbing and trouble.
I have to disagree.

If a full wing mounted pitot/static/AOA probe is used, you have three lines that have to be disconnected/reconnected, and never get mixed up.

The standard pitot works very well and never has to be disconnected.... the standard static lines are short runs to the ADAHRS, and that leaves only one line for the AOA to be dealt with if a wing is ever removed.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 04-17-2017, 12:26 PM

Default vans aopa kit with wing quick disconnect9

check out vans kit for the 12
Old 04-17-2017, 06:20 PM

Default Proposed AOA settings

Under the "Audio Setup" I was thinking of changing the :

"AOA Volume" from 90% to 60%
"AOA Tone Start" from 50% to 70%
"AOA Tone is Solid" from 70% to 90%
"Inhibit AO Below Airspeed" tone from 20 to 40 KTS
"Alert Volume" from 100 to 85

See anything wrong with this?
Old 06-16-2017, 02:04 PM

Default RV12 fuel pump switch

Joe- question re. An old post of yours: you installed a cut-off switch on your -12 for the fuel pump. I didn't build mine so I don't know the closest power wire to the panel to tap in to. Did you use a lighted rocker switch? How is it wired?Thanks. Ben. Benburb@comcast.net
Old 06-16-2017, 02:58 PM

benburb - You might want to search these forums in particular for "vapor lock". Van's has the electric fuel pump running 100% of the time for a reason. I know some have added a switch to shut the electric pump off, but not having built your plane and perhaps not fully schooled in the 912ULS, you should research this subject before taking drastic steps.
PPL - 1970
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC 7/12 Bought Flying 10/2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 294
Old 06-16-2017, 03:07 PM

Mine was built with an additional breaker installed next to the fuel valve. I'm doing the condition inspection now, and I'm going to remove the breaker and splice the wire. The only time I ever used it was when doing some testing on the ground.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 06-16-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
Mine was built with an additional breaker installed next to the fuel valve. I'm doing the condition inspection now, and I'm going to remove the breaker and splice the wire. The only time I ever used it was when doing some testing on the ground.
Yes, I understand. When I want to run avionics or do testing on the ground I pull the 5A fuel pump fuse and immediately tape the fuse to the pilot control stick so I do not forget to reinstall.
PPL - 1970
Old 06-16-2017, 06:36 PM

Jim-Thanks for your suggestion I check the vapor lock thread. First let me apologize for hijacking the AOA thread, but since a few have responded... I built a Kitfox in 1995 with a Rotax 912UL and never had any vapor lock problems- it's not a ULS, so maybe that's why. I agree that Vans expects full-time use of the electric fuel pump, and I will do so. But it is annoying during time spent learning the G3X or whatever, so cutting it of can be desirable. I use, and highly recommend, a re-settable fuse (google it.) Simplest way, short of pulling the fuse, to shut it up temporarily. Also, full disclosure, I took off once with pump off- and at about 800 AGL the engine stumbled. Immediate re-setting of fuse restored full power. Engine-driven pump- 2.2 PSI or so- can't keep up with full throttle? I don't know.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benburb View Post
re-settable fuse (google it.)
Actually Van's fuses have a built-in LED indicator that illuminates if a fuse is blown. As long as all fuses are installed correctly and none are illuminated then you are always go-to-go. Shutting off a resettable fuse has no assurance that it will be "reset" for flight. Sounds like a bad practice.

If I remove a fuse for any reason it immediately gets taped to the top of the pilot control stick with two complete wraps of 1" blue painters tape - impossible to not notice during flight preparations.
PPL - 1970