- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-12-2007, 07:56 AM

Smile Great Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-aviator

(If anyone is interested, "Spitfires and Yellow Tail Mustangs" is an excellent reference on the 52nd Fighter Group in WWII with many photos and daily combat reports. My friend was in the 4th squadron and is mentioned in the book.)

David, It's funny you mention "Spitfires and Yellow Tail Mustangs". I also have an uncle written about in that book telling his story of being shot down and missing and presumed dead for 10 weeks after being saved by an underground group in Yugslovia. In fact he is talking now with the folks that are putting on the Gathering of Legends (http://www.gml2007.com/) about participating in the event in September at Rickenbacker. I know I'll be there. Already have hangar, hotel and rent car.
Everyone should look into going. Over a hundred P-51's will attend.

And just so I stay on thread, Wheel landing my 8 is my preferred method. Kind of makes me feel like a 51 driver..

VAF #818
Dahlonega, GA. 9A0
PIF 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016.

I just wish I could afford to live the way I do
Old 04-12-2007, 09:52 AM

On the note of different gear handling different in landings. what about the optional Grove Airfoil Gear? Does it land any different than stock RV-8 gear?
Old 04-15-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Landing an RV-8

As we touched down solidly on my trial flight the P1 commented that the landing was "just about OK", in a way which I later realised meant that normally it was a somewhat hit and miss afair.

A hundred hours later in my own 8, I had a range of techniques for a range of conditions and could generally nail a satisfactory landing on short strips.

Discussion with other strip pilots confirmed my opinion that the 8 with a C/S prop can be interesting to land especially solo without rear ballast.

My advise is to trial a range of flap settings and speeds depending on the length of strip that you are landing in, and vary your technique according to the gross weight and how short you wish to land. It will be a numbers game as the aircraft lacks the real feedback that you need for finess.

Although landing the 8 can be a challenge - it is an unrewarding process in many respects - it never provides a real "Stick and rudder" feel.

It is more "process than art"

Nic
Old 04-15-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Poetic Expression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhi

Although landing the 8 can be a challenge - it is an unrewarding process in many respects - it never provides a real "Stick and rudder" feel.

Nic
Well put Nic.
Pete.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Bag it and Sell it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhi

Nic
Nic:

My favorite aviation saying is the one about any landing you can walk away from is a good one. This one sounds like an crook, I mean politician running for public office. Although I do not agree with your evauation, I love your eloquent use of the written word. Your comment reminds me of one of those silver toungue devils, I mean attorneys!

IHN,

2017 Dues Paid

Robby Knox

"If it is to be, it is up to me" Thomas Smith
Old 04-16-2007, 07:57 AM

Well said Robby,

I don't believe Nic likes the RV-8, and I have never heard him say anything good about the aircraft. That's fine. Everyone's opinion is respected here. I can't speak for Nic's 8 but the Doll communicates just fine. The pilot has to be listening I guess.

N80434 does not have any kind of electronic stall warning. i.e. horns, bells, lights, or even AOA, but she is so good about communicating with me, non of those things are needed. The much talked about tail shake is there just before stall, and I can fly her right on the edge of it with no fear of departure.

With experience, even the airspeed indicator could be inop, and safe approaches and landings could be made. One day I landed with no A/S indication because of a poor preflight. I failed to remove the pitot cover, and was climbing out before I figured it out. It was really no big deal. I flew the aircraft by feel, and made a normal landing.
Christen Inverted Oil
First Flight 12 July 2000
VAF Dues current for 2017

Last edited by Danny King : 04-16-2007 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Communication

I agree Danny. "Sunshine" communicates very well and has a fairly large vocabulary. If you are on your game listening, feeling, and "at one" with the airplane she will cooperate. Display a little inattention and she will look over her shoulder and smack you. Seriously, it is a light, well balanced, sensitive airplane that needs some skill and practice to fly (or land) well.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
IO360-A1B6
KSBA
Old 04-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Your host.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny King
snip....
With experience, even the airspeed indicator could be inop, and safe approaches and landings could be made. One day I landed with no A/S indication because of a poor preflight. I failed to remove the pitot cover, and was climbing out before I figured it out. It was really no big deal. I flew the aircraft by feel, and made a normal landing.
Not intending to highjack the thread, but I too am a member of the "have flown with the pitot cover on" club.

Unfortunately, Danny was in the flight when I did it and gave me cr@p the whole way home .

Back to the discussion....
Track me: KG5PRB
Old 04-16-2007, 08:12 PM
fugio ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRomeo
Not intending to highjack the thread, but I too am a member of the "have flown with the pitot cover on" club...
Shoot, you've just done it once? Amateur! It is certainly a non-issue in my 6.

RV-6 N441LP Flying
Old 04-17-2007, 06:17 AM

Default Any different to other RV tailwheelers?

Is the RV8 any different to other RV tailwheelers when it comes to landing?