VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #131  
Old 04-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Papa Papa is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
The brakes on the RV-8 are up to the task. Returning from Sun-N-Fun several years ago, I landed at 52F with a gusting direct crosswind of 30K.
After touchdown, the tires sounded like this: Chirp.....Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp ...Chirp, but the Doll remained on the centerline of a narrow runway.
I'll concur with Danny's x-wind experience...coming into North Las Vegas one afternoon I was confronted with a 30 knot cross. I won't claim to have kept it right on centerline, but I did keep it on the runway! Full rudder and differential braking was the trick.

Mark
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 04-24-2017, 01:42 PM
stancaruthers stancaruthers is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Paradise tx
Posts: 184
Default Starting to click

Flew most all day Sunday, landing...landing...landing until the wind fear subsided. I ended the long day with the RV grin, next hurdle is to get the courage to go out and do a loop
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 04-25-2017, 01:12 AM
David-aviator David-aviator is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chesterfield, Missouri
Posts: 4,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stancaruthers View Post
Flew most all day Sunday, landing...landing...landing until the wind fear subsided. I ended the long day with the RV grin, next hurdle is to get the courage to go out and do a loop
Good show Stan.

Logged 200.1 total in the 8 as of yesterday and am still learning to land the beast but not all tensed up.

The wind has been very squirrelly lately so wheel landings have been necessary. But I do get a very tail low landing now and then and it is better for sure if wind permits it.

A high wing experimental tail dragger got wrecked landing here yesterday due to wind about an hour after I quit. He was on news at 5 pm sitting sideways on runway with one main gear collapsed.
__________________
David Domeier
RV-12 Build Helper
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
RV-3 ....fan

I'm in, dues paid 2017 This place is worth it!

Last edited by David-aviator : 04-25-2017 at 02:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 04-26-2017, 09:29 AM
stancaruthers stancaruthers is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Paradise tx
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-aviator View Post
Good show Stan.

Logged 200.1 total in the 8 as of yesterday and am still learning to land the beast but not all tensed up.

The wind has been very squirrelly lately so wheel landings have been necessary. But I do get a very tail low landing now and then and it is better for sure if wind permits it.

A high wing experimental tail dragger got wrecked landing here yesterday due to wind about an hour after I quit. He was on news at 5 pm sitting sideways on runway with one main gear collapsed.
Where I tense up is those big gust, example yesterday was 150@14G22
The first landing attempt was scrubbed due to a big gust, on the next attempt, instead of pulling power off and letting it blow my skirt up...I left power in and drove it to the runway on the left wheel.
Wasn't a thing of beauty, but I stuck it on the left wheel and did the dance without bending anything....WAHOOO.
It's ironic that Danny King told me when I have 100 hrs under my belt that I would look back and ask what the fuss was about.....I'm starting to believe.
3 weeks ago I would not have attempted yesterdays adventure.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 05-07-2017, 07:09 AM
David-aviator David-aviator is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chesterfield, Missouri
Posts: 4,463
Default

Rather bad judgement going flying yesterday, but after 10 days of stormy weather couldn't resist the sunshine dispite the wind.

By the time of return it was 70 degrees 15G25, what a rock and roll on final!!

Was in flare right wing down searching for wheel touch when gust slammed airplane on to runway with significant bounce, added a little power and started over had plenty of runway, this time got it on right wheel stayed on runway finally tail down and steering back there.

Wow!! Now that was fun!!

No. Really dumb going out just for local patrol, turbulence was awful up to 4500'. But did see a lot of water along Missouri River, river is flooded.
__________________
David Domeier
RV-12 Build Helper
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
RV-3 ....fan

I'm in, dues paid 2017 This place is worth it!
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 05-07-2017, 07:56 AM
tracy tracy is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: chattanooga,tn
Posts: 152
Default

Gusty conditions= small rudder inputs (happy feet) with differential braking. Never let pedals get to full deflection. Come to think of it.....same in calm conditions.
__________________
Tracy Willingham
RV-8
Pitts S2B- sold
Chattanooga, Tn
Dues Paid

Last edited by tracy : 05-07-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 05-07-2017, 02:40 PM
snopercod's Avatar
snopercod snopercod is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 946
Default Truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhi View Post
It is more "process than art"
I'm following thie thread with interest because "process" has been the way it's been for me for the last 2.5 years with my Lancair. I started landing very conservatively at 85 Kts...then 8O Kts...then 78 Kts. I would always "fly it down to the ground" with a little power rather than landing on the mains first with the nose up. My goal has been NOT to break the airplane that I worked so long on. The last thing I want to do is drop it in from 24" and see the gear come up through the top of the wing.

I don't know what I did differently the other day, but somehow I made a Cessna-style landing where I kept pulling the nose up until she finally set down gently on the mains. The wheels didn't kiss the asphalt until 60 KIAS - well below my normal 70 KIAS touchdown speed and also the dirty stall speed in my airplane. My AoA was going off in my headset. I need to see if I can pull that off again reliably because I sure don't have the short field capability that you RV guys have. My shortest landing so far has been 2,500'.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rpsqbo77bq...20Kts.mp4?dl=0
__________________
(2018 dues paid)
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 05-08-2017, 09:42 AM
David-aviator David-aviator is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chesterfield, Missouri
Posts: 4,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopercod View Post
I'm following thie thread with interest because "process" has been the way it's been for me for the last 2.5 years with my Lancair. I started landing very conservatively at 85 Kts...then 8O Kts...then 78 Kts. I would always "fly it down to the ground" with a little power rather than landing on the mains first with the nose up. My goal has been NOT to break the airplane that I worked so long on. The last thing I want to do is drop it in from 24" and see the gear come up through the top of the wing.

I don't know what I did differently the other day, but somehow I made a Cessna-style landing where I kept pulling the nose up until she finally set down gently on the mains. The wheels didn't kiss the asphalt until 60 KIAS - well below my normal 70 KIAS touchdown speed and also the dirty stall speed in my airplane. My AoA was going off in my headset. I need to see if I can pull that off again reliably because I sure don't have the short field capability that you RV guys have. My shortest landing so far has been 2,500'.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rpsqbo77bq...20Kts.mp4?dl=0
Have a good friend flying Lancair 360, he needs more runway all the time due to nature of the airplane. It will never be an RV and RV will never be Lancair, he cruises on less fuel, has been on my wing to prove it.

His CS prop helps a lot in this case.
__________________
David Domeier
RV-12 Build Helper
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
RV-3 ....fan

I'm in, dues paid 2017 This place is worth it!
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 05-08-2017, 09:50 AM
David-aviator David-aviator is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chesterfield, Missouri
Posts: 4,463
Default

Went flying yesterday with wind less than 15 gusting to 25 at 70 degrees.

Made 5 good landings including an easy one on grass, grass makes a big difference. Every airport should have a grass runway.
__________________
David Domeier
RV-12 Build Helper
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
RV-3 ....fan

I'm in, dues paid 2017 This place is worth it!
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 05-08-2017, 11:50 AM
acam37's Avatar
acam37 acam37 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Lufkin Tx
Posts: 599
Default

Quote:
Every airport should have a grass runway.
I tried to get our airport manager to give us a grass strip. They tore up one of our old runways and turned it back into open grass land. All thats needed is to smooth it out and keep it mowed. The airport manager said she wouldn't do it because it had to get FAA approval and it was too much red tape.
__________________
Arlie Conner
RV-4 (N124TT) Sold
RV-8 (N269CP) Sold
RV-4 (N684ML) under construction
KOCH Nacogdoches
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:57 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.