VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-20-2017, 12:41 PM

Adding a shim is not the proper way to fix a loose wing.

Because the joint is an outside radius nesting within an inside radius, the clearance wont be equal around the entire contact surface of the two parts if there is a gap.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")

Last edited by rvbuilder2002 : 04-20-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:10 PM

Scott,

At the risk of exposing myself as a "newbie"; what exactly IS the prescribed method for fixing a loose wing? Is there a service bulletin for this issue with direction to attain the appropriate fit?
I acquired my -12 flying with just over 95 hours on it so I am not a builder. It came with a fresh annual/condition inspection that was just performed in 12/2016. There was no play in the wing at that time.
I've now heard everything from spar pin, to wing root seal, to front and/or rear spar doublers. Is it simply a matter of process of elimination?
I had planned to attend the AOPA Fly-In in Camarillo next weekend, which is about a 3 hour flight, but now I'm questioning those plans.

I appreciate everyone's help.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:47 PM

FAQ section of Van's web site.......

http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/RV-1..._SPAR_PLAY.pdf

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Old 04-20-2017, 07:58 PM

Scott,

The shim I made is the same shape as the spar tongue, and it is bent 90 degrees at the bottom so I have a shim that adds 0.025" to the tongue face AND the bottom tongue edge. I understand your comment, but I have to say it eliminated all the play I had and has been in service about three years (350 hrs) with no issue. Can't argue with success!

Rich
Old 04-20-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
Scott,

The shim I made is the same shape as the spar tongue, and it is bent 90 degrees at the bottom so I have a shim that adds 0.025" to the tongue face AND the bottom tongue edge. I understand your comment, but I have to say it eliminated all the play I had and has been in service about three years (350 hrs) with no issue. Can't argue with success!

Rich
And you probably now have a very small contact area with a very high point load on the very tip of the spar tongue.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Old 04-21-2017, 11:08 AM

Scott,

I don't understand the comment. Why would that be the case, and what effect would such a condition cause (spar failure?)

Rich
Old 04-22-2017, 11:33 AM

Scott,

My shims were placed on the front spar tongues. Does that change your conclusion?

Rich
Old 04-22-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
Scott,

My shims were placed on the front spar tongues. Does that change your conclusion?

Rich
No, it doesn't.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Old 04-22-2017, 08:24 PM

Scott,

OK, but I would like to understand your comment so I can make an informed decision. I just don't see the geometry that leads you to conclude shimming is not the right solution. Can you explain?

Rich
Old 04-23-2017, 05:40 AM

Rich, there might be a misunderstanding about the size and shape of the shims. How long are they and do they wrap completely around the curved surface of the spar? Can you post a picture?