VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-18-2017, 12:41 PM

Default Loose wing?

While moving my RV-12 around the hangar yesterday after replacing the nose fork and gear leg, my friend noticed some play in the left wing. At the root where the spar enters the through the fuselage the wing rocks horizontally about 1/4" - 3/8". No movement up and down vertically, but if you gently rock the wing at the tip side to side there is slight movement. I tried the same gentle movement on the right side and nothing. Rock solid in both directions.

Any suggestions as to what I may be dealing with? I know the pins locking the spar into place will keep the wing attached to the plane, but to my way of thinking any play in any direction can't be normal.

HELP!!!
Old 04-18-2017, 01:20 PM

Keldog - This is not all that uncommon. The root of the issue is likely too much sanding down material from the W-1207B doublers .

Van's makes the W-1207B doublers in four larger oversized versions to correct for this very issue.

Some builders have had good luck by setting up a dial indicator between the aft edge of the inboard wing skin and the fuselage to measure the total movement, then used a shim as thick as half the total movement. To my understanding Van's does not instruct builders to use shims the approved fix is to replace the doubler with the oversized part.

Good info in this link:
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=88202
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2018

Last edited by John-G : 04-18-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:22 PM

Default go-no-go gauge

You might check the spar bushings that the spar pins slip into. Vans supplies a gauge for checking for wear and keeping them within tolerance. A search on this site will probably yield results on this subject. I have not used the tool myself, but have plans to at next annual.

Tom O.

the bitterness of poor quality
lingers long after the cheap
price is forgotten.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:41 PM

Like John says, this is fairly common. I had to replace my W-1207B Rear Spar Doubler with an oversize to remove play. It's available on the web store in .025, .035,.045 and .055 oversize. Fairly easy job. Pull the wing out a ways and support it. Drill off the rivets. You can reach in through the wing rib holes to clean up remnants of the rivets. Replace the part.

RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 04-18-2017, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. I bought a flying 12, so no builder experience here. I'll have to get with my mechanic and pass along the info. Is this something that should be addressed immediately, or at annual? Safety a concern?
Old 04-19-2017, 09:06 PM

Hi Keldog,
As you note, play in a wing is a cause for concern. My thoughts regarding safety: You or your mechanic should correct or confirm safety with Van's before further flight.
Barry
Old 04-20-2017, 12:22 AM

I had about 3/32" play at the wing tip 1/4-3/8" seems like a lot. Mine was fixed by 0.025" shims on the forward stub spar tongue.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:11 AM

How does one determine if the play is from the front or rear stub tongue?
Old 04-20-2017, 11:04 AM

See post 12........sorry http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...aps+osh&page=2
Old 04-20-2017, 12:03 PM

I only shimmed the front stub spar tongue. That fixed my problem. If it had not I would have shimmed the rear spar tongues too. That's how I would determine which is the culprit. If it's tight you probably won't be able to insert a shim.