Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2017, 07:15 PM

Default There's gotta be a better way: fuel tanks.

With all the stories I've read about leaking fuel tanks, I have to think there's a better way to do this. I've seen some talk about welding the seams, but has anyone actually tried it? (Yes, I used the search function.) Is there some compelling reason that it can't be done? Has anyone tried some sort of composite? This is a fairly mature technology in the world of race cars.

Jerre
http://webpages.uncc.edu/~hill
http://jerre-hill.blogspot.com
=VAF= dues paid 2017
Old 04-16-2017, 07:53 PM

Jerre,

I shuddered when I put my tank together. There are fairly large gaps at the corners only filled with Pro-seal. But if you follow the directions carefully it works fine. I've got 5 years and 570 hrs on my 12 with no leaks.

Rich
Old 04-16-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroDog View Post
I've seen some talk about welding the seams, but has anyone actually tried it? (Yes, I used the search function.) Is there some compelling reason that it can't be done?
Jerre ... As I understand it apparently the 2024 aluminum alloy that the tanks are built from does not lend itself well to welding. A welded tank could be made but would need to be made from a more weldable alloy such as 5000 series aluminum.
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2017
Old 04-16-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-G View Post
Jerre ... As I understand it apparently the 2024 aluminum alloy that the tanks are built from does not lend itself well to welding. A welded tank could be made but would need to be made from a more weldable alloy such as 5000 series aluminum.
Having just finished my tank, I would agree that it's a rather crude way to build a tank. However, it's cheap which is probably the reason they're done that way.

If you're building ELSA I'm not sure if using an alternate method of tank construction would cause issues or not.

Jim

2006 Rans S-6S Coyote (flying)
Old 04-16-2017, 11:06 PM

Default Agree

My fuel tank is done and proofed for one week using the balloon method. Hopefully, it will be ok with gasoline in it.

I think that a plastic tank (don't know which plastic) would be best and I'd like to be able to put 25 gallons into it. I haven't searched this out but a race car mechanic friend told me that they use some kind of plastic and that they usually don't have problems during collisions, spin outs into walls, etc.

I believe that Van's design is adequate, but I'd pay a lot to have a plastic purpose built fuel tank to mount behind my passenger - my wife. Just sayin - not criticizing Van's. I love this kit!
Old 04-16-2017, 11:44 PM

Crude construction method?
Of the almost 10,000 RV's that people have built and flown, I haven't heard them described that way very many times (the RV-12 tank is assembled with blind rivets, but overall is not much different from the other RV's, and the other RV's are not much different from many certificated airplanes).

Everything in airplane design is a compromise.

I am confident that no one is likely to find a different construction method that will be as light or for anywhere close to the same cost.......

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")

Last edited by rvbuilder2002 : 04-16-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T View Post
If you're building ELSA I'm not sure if using an alternate method of tank construction would cause issues or not.
If you are building E-LSA, using an alternate method for anything (unless specifically documented in the plans) is not allowed.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 04-17-2017, 01:25 AM

"Crude"? It's basically how we do it on transport-category jets...
Old 04-17-2017, 03:24 AM

The way Vans recommends is 'practical, effective and affordable' therefore good.
wings almost complete.
Flaps and ailerons done.
Canopy next. Phew!
Old 04-17-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Crude construction method?
Of the almost 10,000 RV's that people have built and flown, I haven't heard them described that way very many times (the RV-12 tank is assembled with blind rivets, but overall is not much different from the other RV's, and the other RV's are not much different from many certificated airplanes).

Everything in airplane design is a compromise.

I am confident that no one is likely to find a different construction method that will be as light or for anywhere close to the same cost.......
Sorry Scott..........didn't mean to push your button.

I totally get why it's done the way it is. It's light, effective, a good compromise, and inexpensive (which I mentioned). I also understand that if Vans did everything as it could be done, nobody could afford the kits. All that said..........I'll still stand by my statement that it's a crude way to build an EXERNAL fuel tank. No big deal..........it certainly gets the job done.

Best Regards, Jim

2006 Rans S-6S Coyote (flying)