- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2017, 07:27 AM

Default elevator trim at landing...

I too have a very stock RV10 (IO-540 D4A5, Hartzell metal 2-blade, typical Dynon/Garmin avionics) and surprised with the difference, but really good to hear about your data point, thank you Bob. Wish we had the planes in the same area of country, would be interesting to have you fly N56GZ and see where the trim tabs end up with similar CG loading. We (i.e. pilots) all seem to have slightly different "styles" on final approach and flare, not implying one is better than the other, and I am sure that can and/or could account for some difference.

Would love to hear about other RV10 pilot/plane trim tab positions at landing with CG limits around 110 or less (typical of one or two in front with considerable fuel, light baggage).

Cheers & Happy Flying....Mike
Old 04-16-2017, 08:10 AM

When I'm solo or plus 1 I fly with a 5 gallon collapsible water container in the baggage area giving me 40 lbs of ballast that I can easily adjust down to zero if I pickup pax or cargo enroute.

In the past I've always kept a mimimum of 10-15lbs back there when I'm forward CG. As a result, I've never had to run my trim to full nose up.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 04-16-2017, 12:26 PM

I am curious why you did not just attach both cables to the same point on the lever arm and use one servo instead of two?
WA0SYV
Aviation Partners, LLC
Old 04-16-2017, 09:15 PM

Default equal attach points

Thought about that option and think it is a good one too. I choose the two servo option for a bit of redundancy and thinking about an option to switch one out one for takeoff-cruise operations and use, if needed, for landings with forward CG. Help decrease the sensitivity of the trim as well. I always have wondered why Vans made them move with different rates/positions, one of those questions I am almost afraid to ask them....

Cheers, Mike