VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-07-2017, 08:06 PM

Default Missing Hardware

I'm just curious how often others have discovered missing hardware in their kits. I'm still on the empennage (although near the end and about to start the fiberglass work), and today I had my third episode where I've come up short on some minor bits of hardware. It is literally less than a dollar's worth I'm missing, but significant enough that I'm stuck until I have what I need. What's worse is that I'm going to lose two build-days this weekend because the replacement parts won't arrive until next week sometime. This drives me crazy; I want to be building but I can't due to 75 cents worth of missing hardware.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:49 PM

There is advice concerning the need for a proper inventory after receiving the kits. I think it's in section 5.
Cheers, DaveH
Old 04-07-2017, 08:55 PM

Agreed. Synergy did the inventory since I did the emp class with them. I was extremely meticulous when I received my wing kit for this very reason.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:12 PM

There were a few minor bits missing when I got mine a month ago. They want you to count everything except rivets. They sent me the missing hardware right away.
RV10 - Empennage (Started March 2017)
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
2017 dues paid
Old 04-08-2017, 06:28 AM

After wings, empennage and fuselage kits I've never come up short other than items clearly indicated as backordered. I did have incorrectly manufactured panels and Vans promptly overnighted replacements. If anything I get a few extras once in a while but mostly the indicated count, which can cause a problem if I need to redo something like a cherry rivet. It's for that reason I have an inventory of all sorts of hardware.
RV14A #83
Wings and empennage done
Fuselage nearing completion
Finish kit impatiently waiting on the shelves
Old 04-08-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw20c View Post
I'm just curious how often others have discovered missing hardware in their kits. I'm still on the empennage (although near the end and about to start the fiberglass work), and today I had my third episode where I've come up short on some minor bits of hardware. It is literally less than a dollar's worth I'm missing, but significant enough that I'm stuck until I have what I need. What's worse is that I'm going to lose two build-days this weekend because the replacement parts won't arrive until next week sometime. This drives me crazy; I want to be building but I can't due to 75 cents worth of missing hardware.
The cure for this is to have your own kits of basic hardware on hand. You will damage some during the build anyway and will need replacements and you will need replacements later for maintenance.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:06 AM

asw20c --- Can't speak to the specifics of the RV-14 parts but having helped a friend assemble a 9A and my own 12 I have to say I'm amazed that Van's does as well of a job as they do considering the many thousands of parts that go into our planes.

I can only remember a few times where I did not get the correct parts count or not receive a piece of hardware altogether. Admittedly, it is a pain to count all the hardware but necessary for the very reason you just pointed out.

While working on the 9A we discovered early on it is difficult and sometimes confusing working out of the paper bags ... especially when the parts count becomes the same between two similar items. So to make the inventory go easier, I found that it is almost painless to take all the bags of hardware home and perform the hardware inventory while watching TV and placing the parts in inexpensive Harbor Freight parts bins. Finding a part is a snap ... all the nuts are in one tray, bolts in another, ect. To conserve bins, really long bolts can share a bin with much shorter bolts ... big difference between -3 and -13.

Happy building,
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2017
Old 04-08-2017, 08:52 AM

Default Floor sort

I read all the posts and various blogs that advocate for binning of parts. I binned my parts for the empennage kit and it worked great until the first floor sort event. It doesn't take much to scramble your whole kit when all the parts are exposed naked in those Harbor Freight bins. Any labor saved in retrieving parts from labeled bins is quickly negated after the first time the tray is dropped on the floor. The other problem with those Harbor Freight bins is that small parts "migrate" from one bin to another by slipping under those floppy bin separator walls.

I now keep all parts safely contained in the paper bags with the inventory sheet nearby for searching for parts. YMMV but I would recommend NOT to bin your parts. Those paper bags are your friends ;-)
Old 04-08-2017, 09:07 AM

Default Floor Sort

Same deal with rivets. The last thing you want to do is put a bunch of like sized rivets next to each other in open bins. Keep the rivets safely contained in plastic baggies. A drop of a plastic baggie on the floor is a non-event. Dropping a bin of like sized rivets is a disaster. </rant off>
Old 04-08-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash View Post
It doesn't take much to scramble your whole kit when all the parts are exposed naked in those Harbor Freight bins. Any labor saved in retrieving parts from labeled bins is quickly negated after the first time the tray is dropped on the floor.
smash ---- you make a very valid point and dropping the parts bin must be avoided at all costs.

In the 4 years I worked out of the bins I had NO mishaps, perhaps I was lucky ... but EXTREME care was also used. When working on an assembly I would count the number of items required, open one bin at a time remove the needed quantity, close the lid and place the bin back on a storage shelf far away from workbenches and tools. Never left the bins on a bench open. As for the dividers moving ... never had an issue with that but I was really careful .... guess a drop of hot glue would solve unwanted divider movement.
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2017